should i drain this before winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I jumped onto the HDEO bandwagon perhaps a little to hastily. I have a 2008 Ford Ranger FX4 with the SOHC 4.0L V6, I put in PC Duron-E synthetic 5w40 with a MC filter, but after reading opinions that are all over the map I am asking as a newb should I dump this before the cold weather really starts. I live in central alberta where we see temps in the winter around -20C and sometimes dipping into to -30C and beyond. The truck is plugged in basicly all winter long. I love this site and all the great advice that one can get here, and not just on motor oil.
Flash Point, °C / °F----223
Kinematic Viscosity
cSt @ 40°C / SUS @ 100°F---95.5 / 486
cSt @ 100°C / SUS @ 210°F---15.5 / 80.5
Viscosity Index---172
High Temp/High Shear Viscosity cP @ 150°C---4.31
Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP @ °C / °F---6260 -30/-22
Borderline Pumping Viscosity, cP @ °C / °F---23630 -35/-31
Sulphated Ash, % wt.---1.4
Total Base No. (TBN), mg KOH/g---10.8

the oil is also SM rated for gasoline. thank you in advance for all opinions.

This is the only modern ford v6 that i know of that hasnt been back specd to 5w20, they say 5w30 all year. But do to the amount that it will idle in the winter i was thinking a hdeo might be the way to go...but i have been wrong many times before

Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 or 0w-30?
They should be robust enough...
Or a full syn thinner end 5w-20/30 if you want any chance of starting in those temps.

Edit: Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

Just the block heater now, i had one of those glue on ones for the pan last year but to be honest im not sure how well it worked. I am sure there are better ones out there but i will just be using the standard block heater

The glued on ones work very well. Any temperatures you can increase the oil is going to benefit flow, which in turn reduces iron wear.

You might lose a lot of heat because conduction is far from perfect, but the oil is still getting some heat.

Petro Canada is what I use and yes they make a 0w30, form what I have been told PC oils are some of the better ones on the market. I was thinking that being a HDEO that it might help with all the start and stop and idle time during the winter is all.

One of Fords durable engines, it will probably run just fine for 300k on 15w40 anyways. You can do better, but i think in Canada you get eaten by rust before the engine gives out right?

Rust is a huge problem out East for sure, its still a problem here as well. The auto makers have done a much better job circa mid 90s, thats when you could enter and exit most vehicles without opening the window or door. No more so than my old 91 civic lol..that thing had over 450,000km before rust finally did her in, that [censored] engine ran like a top throughout it all, and on good old gtx dino lol

BlueOval, don't worry in the least about running that oil in the winter. The cold specifications on it are fine. Sure, a 0w-30 might give you an advantage, but it won't be worth dumping perfectly good oil. Besides, you plug in your truck and are well aware of how to ensure a vehicle starts in a Canadian prairie winter.

I've run 5w-30 conventionals all year with far worse winter specifications than the 5w-40 synthetic you have in there now. The oil pan heater that 901Memphis recommends isn't a bad idea at all. I use a magnetic one on occasion. Of course, they're not necessary at all, but they do help, regardless of the grade being used.

CATERHAM will spank you for using an oil with such a high HTHS (like I'm any better
wink.gif
), but the cold specs are impressive. Use it with confidence this winter.

There are some 0w-30 HDEOs available to you that we can't get. Esso 0w-30 perhaps? If you want HDEO, that would be the route to take.

Do not dump that oil....it will work great for the winter.

PC oils are all very good in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back