Should I change the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Lincoln Town Car(4.6L engine) with 32K on the odometer. I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30. The car is in storage and I start the car up every couple of months. I let it warm up to operating temp and drive it a few miles. I put only about 30 miles on the car last year. My question is, should I change the oil every year or is it alright to go a few years consideration how few miles are actually being driven?

Johnny

In your case, I'd change the oil once a year with Maxlife 5W-30. I'd switch to Maxlife for the seal conditioners. I think that would be advantageous for the seals while the car is in storage for long periods of time.

This is off topic, but I'm interested to know why keep a vehicle if not driving it? I see you have three other lincoln vehicles. Once a year oil change is fine for those driving conditions you mention.

I would use the cheapest oil you can find at Walmart if only driving 30 miles. Probably Supertech or Tropartic or Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I would use the cheapest oil you can find at Walmart if only driving 30 miles. Probably Supertech or Tropartic or Motorcraft.

X2

I recently had the oil analyzed on my 70 Camaro that had about 900 miles on it and 3 years. It never gets started unless I go far enough to reach full operating temp. Analysis came back fine so you should be OK going a few years.

Cutehumor> The Town Car with the low mileage was willed to me from my Aunt. Which, unfortunately, started my addiction to Lincolns.
wink.gif

The two higher mileage cars are my daily drivers. When these "wear out", I already have two spare cars waiting. The way I figure, I'll never have to buy another car for the rest of my life.(No new car payments, lower ins.)
This is why I'm on this site, to make them last as long as possible.
I'll change the oil in the spring every year from now on..

Thanks
johnny

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I'd go a few years between changes. There's a UOA or two here that shows no additional wear even around the 2 year mark.

X2- and at least one of those was a car that sat in storage for 2 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back