should i be concerned with this oil report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yvon_la
you should be using a oil saying:
sn
energy conserving

if I aint mistaken mobil delvac1 le5w30 meet this !

No, as mentioned before, CJ-4 and GF-5 are mutually exclusive. Delvac 1 LE is not a resource conserving oil.

ok then if delvac1 le isn't energy conserving ,then you must chose one that does mention sn and energy conserving (this makes it gf-5 friendly)wasn't sure about the delvac1 that is what I mentioned that one

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: subaruguy12
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
This looks familiar.
smile.gif

Is this a built engine? I'm nearly thinking 15W-50 might work well, depending on your mods. Or maybe get Terry Dyson's opinion. Is it 360 whp (i.e. +100 hp over stock?)?

-Dennis

yes dennis, you told me to post here so i did..lol engine is stock, with 19k on it. you dont think a 15-50 is too much for the oil pump? as for mods its pretty much every bolt on and tuned on e85. this car stock dynoed about 220, its its a little more than 100 over stock. i have no issues putting in a built motor i was planning on it eventually at these power levels.

This is probably your problem, i.e. all sorts of bolt ons on stock internals. I don't see any oil helping this situation.
You either pony up the cash up front and do it right, or pony up the cash later when the block has an extra cooling hole on its side. Oil choice will only affect when, not if.

01.gif

And this is why it's a good idea to pay for recommendations from someone like Dyson. He will help get the the root of the problem and has a lot of experience with modified Subaru's.

15W-50 MIGHT be too thick, but keep in mind that the pre-2011 EJ engines allowed 50 grades in severe conditions. There's actually a uoa here from a stock Legacy GT on M1 15W-50 from several years ago (use google to search for it). He did admit to some drag in cooler weather, but you're well beyond stock.

M1 actually recommended M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, in an application originally specced for 5W-20, on their Ask Mobil site.

Does your tuner recommend RT6? I wonder if the high calcium in M1 0W-40 would do better in combatting the effect of E85? You do need to do something though!

-Dennis

Last edited:
ok then if delvac1 le isn't energy conserving ,then you must chose one that does mention sn and energy conserving (this makes it gf-5 friendly)wasn't sure about the delvac1 that is what I mentioned that one

Personally, I think the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 would be a good choice (at least out of warranty), but it's simply not resource conserving. It's got low phosphorous, but the HTHS is way too high for an ILSAC rating.

Ouch. My brain is all full of WTHeck.

I think the last thing such a modified engine needs to be concerned with is whether the oil carries an 'energy conserving' rating..

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I think the last thing such a modified engine needs to be concerned with is whether the oil carries an 'energy conserving' rating..

Yeah, I'm not getting that recommendation either. In stock form, a WRX does a pretty good job at shearing a Resource Conserving xW-30 down to a 20 grade. Add over 100 hp and E85 to that and, oh my.
crazy2.gif

-Dennis

UOA on a engine with less than 19K miles and people are recommending changing brand of lubricant not grade to "reduce" wear metals?

I do not understand people. I would follow Solarent's advice and gather more data during your OCI.

My T6 CJ4 UOA has Zn & P levels just about 50 points lower than this example, so it doesn't look that out of line.

And yes, many Subie owners swear by Totella T6

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

read the op first post ,its a daily driver with a bit of racing ,energy conserving was designed to protect component ,including turbo

Mind the turbo, OP. How's oil flow? Pressure, too, but flow. Is this year of WRX the EJ-255, or which variant is it? Do you have screens in the turbo oil supply line and/or variable valve timing lines? Check those lines and make sure they're clean and clear.

Maybe this engine will live forever.

Mind the turbo.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Mind the turbo, OP. How's oil flow? Pressure, too, but flow. Is this year of WRX the EJ-255, or which variant is it? Do you have screens in the turbo oil supply line and/or variable valve timing lines? Check those lines and make sure they're clean and clear.

Maybe this engine will live forever.

Mind the turbo.

Wow, where have you been? Surely, nothing in life is more important than bitog.
lol.gif

welcome2.gif
back.

-Dennis

FWIW, found this in an old thread:

Quote:
As a precautionary measure and in an effort to better protect Mercedes-Benz engines from the potential long term effects of the increased use of ethanol. DCAG has decided to differentiate the engine oils that are used for Gasoline and Diesel engines.

As such, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 0W40 engine oil must be used for all gasoline engines including AMG. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of Mobil 1 0W40 for all gasoline engines including AMG, with the exception of the SLR. 0W40 engine oil is more effective in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol. The SLR requires specification 229.3, Mobil 1 5W50 oil. To maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 must be used for Diesel engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1398113

Another option (for free advice) is to drop the oil companies a line and ask them for recommendations.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
FWIW, found this in an old thread:

Quote:
As a precautionary measure and in an effort to better protect Mercedes-Benz engines from the potential long term effects of the increased use of ethanol. DCAG has decided to differentiate the engine oils that are used for Gasoline and Diesel engines.

As such, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 0W40 engine oil must be used for all gasoline engines including AMG. Mercedes-Benz recommends the use of Mobil 1 0W40 for all gasoline engines including AMG, with the exception of the SLR. 0W40 engine oil is more effective in resisting the possible corrosive effects of acidic moisture that can be caused by the increased use of ethanol. The SLR requires specification 229.3, Mobil 1 5W50 oil. To maintain the integrity of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), specification 229.51 must be used for Diesel engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1398113

Another option (for free advice) is to drop the oil companies a line and ask them for recommendations.

-Dennis
preventive mesure from cummins isx!keep fuel tank (or gas tank) full

First, I am a new member to this forum, most of my experience is on the industrial side. I look forward to expanding the knowledge base regarding gasoline engines, wear, lubrication & filtration. I have read some great posts and hope to contribute what I can.

I am curious why there are no comments as to the mileage this vehicle is driven on a daily basis. It does not seem it would be enough to purge the condensation from the vehicle, i.e., possibly generating accelerated wear? Also, the contaminants listed on the report, what filtration is being utilized? The report looks like a elemental spectroscopy report. If so, generally it will not evaluate particles over 10 micron - fatigued and/or abrasive wear. The decline of copper count is typical in new engine break-in. Sodium & Chromium deserves to be monitored, may be sign of coolant leakage. Could a change in loads and/or driving pattern be a cause for change in the report?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bassnjunky
Could a change in loads and/or driving pattern be a cause for change in the report?

i am actually hoping this is the case. as stated in the first post this car was on a road course for prob 100-150 and driven hard. i had 6 20-25 minute sessions. my plan is to sample the oil with my normal driving at 1000 and check the levels. i plan on trying that mobil 1 diesel 5w40 on my next change.

until then i dont think i can do anything but wait. car doesn't consume or smoke either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back