Should I be Annoyed at Rock Auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me make it clear that I love Rock Auto. I personally think that their combination of prices/selection/service are pretty tough to beat and I get LOTS of parts from them.

But...last week I ordered a bunch of oil filters for 4 different applications (I maintain 12 vehicles). They were all smoking deals like Hastings filters for under $2, and Fram Extended Guards (the only Frams I'll use) for $3 and change. All were what Rock Auto referred to as "Manufacturer Closeouts" with only a few pieces of each remaining in the particular sizes I needed.

Well, I received them yesterday and went through them and am noticing that most of the packaging/filter boxes don't look like the current filter packaging of the respective brands. So after doing my best to interpret the date codes on the filters themselves, I believe the Frams to be 7 years old (2003 mfg date), and the Hastings to be even older....like late 1990's mfg. dates.

So, I guess I got what I paid for. Its really not worth sending them back and winding up paying for shipping both ways when they were so cheap to begin with. They all actually look fine, and I've been one to use some pretty old filters in the past to no ill effect, but I am a little annoyed that they'd be selling filters this old as regular "new" ones, albeit as "manufacturer closeouts".

Is my annoyance justified?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
you bought manufacturer's closeouts. There was a reason why they were that...

+1

At a much lower price.

Sorry....too late to edit.

These were called "Wholesaler Closeouts" not "Manufacturer Closeouts".

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I wouldn't worry

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
I'd still use them.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. I've used older ones....

Originally Posted By: miraCRD
I am a little annoyed that they'd be selling filters this old as regular "new" ones, albeit as "manufacturer closeouts".

Is my annoyance justified?

Nope. New 'old stock' is still technically new. You have to expect that with closeout specials.

I'd still use them. As long as they're kept dry and the rubber bits are kept out of direct sunlight, I don't think the guts of an oil filter degrade that much (if at all) with age.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I don't think the guts of an oil filter degrade that much (if at all) with age.

I agree. I've never been able to detect any degredation or issues after cutting open many old (some 20+ years old) new and used oil filters. But, obviously good storage conditions are key.

I recently cut a 30 year old (unused) one open and the media was as soft and pliable as any brand new filter I've ever analyzed. And the adhesive holding the media to the endcaps was seemingly just as strong.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
i did the same thing last year and ended up with a few motorcrafts from 1998

Did you use them?

I bought 12 beck-arnley oil filters on manufacturer closeout and the boxes look old and damaged, but the filters themselves are fine. I've used 2 of them already. Not an oil filter, but I've bought new old stock air filters for my car before because they're slow-movers. The one on my car right now is from 1998 and it looked like it was made yesterday. The next filter I'm planning on using is from 2002 IIRC. I also bought an older Purolator oil filter at a thrift store for the heck of it. It was made when they were still owned by Mark IV, probably around 1997-1998 and it looks good as new. I'd use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back