Shotgun slug and buckshot question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What kind of spread would one see with 00 buck vs. a slug at say 10 yards?

Good video on shotgun spread.

https://youtu.be/grl_HBFawxg?t=1m25s

What choke is on that 18" barrel ... I'm assuming IC?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What choke is on that 18" barrel ... I'm assuming IC?

Fixed choke 18" barrels are commonly cylinder or improve cylinder. My 18" 870 Police came with an Improved cylinder barrel and my regular 18" 870 is a cylinder choke.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Buckshot is absolutely fearsome stuff. I wish our department would go back to it.

What is your department using? Slugs? I can't fathom that they would be using bird shot?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Buckshot is absolutely fearsome stuff. I wish our department would go back to it.

What is your department using? Slugs? I can't fathom that they would be using bird shot?

They switched over to the now defunct Poly-Shok slugs about 10 years ago. We have so much we are still using them though. My understanding is the Poly Shok is some kind of limited penetration fragmenting slug. I had to put a deer down with one and was not impressed, others have said the same thing.

I would rather have buckshot for law enforcement purposes and a proper slug available for dispatching deer or what not.

In reference to Poly-Shok ammo:

From the highly respected Dr. Gary Roberts, a renowned ballistics expert:

We recently tested the 12 gauge 2 3/4” Polyshok “Law Enforcement, Urban Tactical, Impact Reactive SMART Projectile” containing 470 gr of very small spherical lead shot contained in “a low density polymer compound projectile body”. Despite some rather amusing claims by the manufacturer, the Polyshok ammunition offered some of the WORST terminal performance of any shotgun ammunition we have ever tested. It has inadequate penetration of only 7.9”, with terminal performance similar to bird shot. Ave vel = 973 f/s from a 14” Rem 870.
The product information provided by the Polyshok manufacturer was grossly inaccurate, misleading, and replete with hyperbole. BEWARE !

Send that to your dept brass and training dept and get that Polyshok swapped out.

I didn't know that about the Poly Shok but my suspicions and our experiences certainly mirror that. Glad they are out of business hopefully it will go away soon. Unfortunately the department has a long history of being completely unreceptive to any idea that doesn't come from the top.

Here's a hilarious aside, they handed out some real slugs the other day for putting deer down. Remington reduced recoil slugs. But they are only supposed to be single loaded for that purpose, patrol duty still must be loaded with stupid Poly Shoks.

I actually think that Winchester 3 piece slug looks interesting and is more what they are actually looking for. It's supposed to act like a real slug on a hard target and fragment on a soft one, from what I've seen it actually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back