Shot myself in the foot, I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I bought a new lawn tractor. A Huskee LT4200 with a Powermore engine with full pressure lube system. I thought to myself "YES!, I can use my trusty WIX filters!" Until I saw the threads. 1-12 unf-2a. What?.. I don't know anything about threads. I've tried to cross reference countless times for this filter. Part #951-12690. I'm assuming there are no compatible threads that will fit this motor?

Last edited:
Im by no means an expert on thread types, but I cant say Ive heard of a 1-12 unf-2a.

Since there is pressure, I wonder if you could make a custom adapter and then use one of those remote mount filter plates...

Not that there is a lot of space on a mower to mount filters.

the thread info can be found in a machenerys hand book. i have 4. the one you listed is 1 inch od, with 12 threads per inch. the threads are very much like bolt threads. when threads OD. get over 3-4 inchs you are getting in mostly custom TPIs

Yeah, I'm equally as stumped. It says the threads on the TSC page. I've crossed it with the Sears part number and they don't even mention threads there.

1-12 threads? gotta be a typo. that's what the oil filters are my tractor use (51784), and the spin on hydraulic filter (51453).

I would bet it is really 3/4-16

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Link. It's VERY odd. It looks like a WIX 51056 but that thread, WTH.

I don't think it's a 1" dia thread on the mounting hole. It says the filter width is 2-2/3", and it looks to me you could fit 3+ of those holes across the diameter (rough scaling exercise). Must be a typo.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
1-12 threads? gotta be a typo. that's what the oil filters are my tractor use (51784), and the spin on hydraulic filter (51453).

I would bet it is really 3/4-16

I hope so!! I'm not paying $13 for a oil filter. I guess my best bet is bite the bullet and buy a 51056 and try it.

I don't know about the filter but here's what the thread callout means:
1-12 UNF 2A

1 = 1 inch diameter
12 = 12 threads per inch
UNF = Unified Fine thread profile (thread shape)
2 = Class 2 (common) tolerance
A = External thread

That part number is an MTD oil filter you can buy them anywhere. So buy one and take it to a NAPA store and find a similar one. But they are only $8-9 on the web so why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back