Shocks/struts '07 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started driving our '07 Tahoe. It was my wifes daily driver the last 5 years. Its got 82K on it and I've noticed the ride has become rather harsh.

I replaced pads and rotors on all four corners today. I'm looking at shocks next.

I'm looking at KYB GR2,KYB Gas-a-just,and Monroe Reflex. The Monroe are cheapest at about $275. The GR2 are $300 and the GAJ are $325.

Not looking for increased handling,just want to get back to what it used to ride like.

If you are going to install them I would use Monroe Quick-Struts that are already assembled with new springs and mounts. That way you would have all new parts and not have to worry about using a spring compressor.

Honestly.. I would go with the KYB Gas-A-Just.
The Tahoe is a faily heavy truck, and the GR2 could handle it, but it'd be mushy, much to the same affect as the monroe reflex.
the Reflex is a monotube shock, as is the gas-a-just.
the reflex is the ONLY monroe shock I would use, if I had no choice.
the KYB is a great shock, and will give a much better ride given the weight of the vehicle. It should be a very notiable improvement. KYB also carries a lifetime warranty so I don't see any negatives, except for initial pricing.
IF the vehicle ever went offroad or trailriding, the gas-a-just would handle it with ease, as would the reflex.
KYB also makes a mono-max shock for your tahoe as well.
the mono-max is a very heavy duty monotube shock, it will give a stiffer ride without a load on it.
Personally I would put the kyb gas-a-just in the front and the mono-max in the back (for towing or heavy load in the back).
the gas-a-just up front won't be as stiff. Going all around would do well.

there is no quick strut for a shock setup.
IF you have the air ride all around, your ONLY choice is AC Delco (made by Monroe). the AC Delco is actually cheaper than the monroe. Nobody else makes them. If you have the air ride. sorry. they aren't cheap by any means..

IMHO the monroe's are a good shock to get the car off the lot. after about a year they wear down and noticable too.
the KYB's come out of the box stiffer on purpose. so they don't wear down as fast.

I've been in your position before with my previous Saturn.

New struts/shocks are not going to help. If the shocks are bouncy due to wear, and the ride is uncontrolled, then the ride will improve with new struts.

Otherwise, you are wasting your money. I installed a set of KYB GR-2 struts on my Saturn to improve the ride and was rewarded with a very minimal improvement.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
If you are going to install them I would use Monroe Quick-Struts that are already assembled with new springs and mounts. That way you would have all new parts and not have to worry about using a spring compressor.

That's a good idea for some.

But really, compressing a spring isn't that hard. IMO, it's not any more difficult then the rest of the job.

keep in mind Bilstein makes the oem shocks for the Z71, so they have an application for your truck.

Bilstein would be an improvement over kyb. I have used GR2's and enjoyed them, tho I suspect the bilsteins are slightly more refined, tho possibly a bit stiffer.

I have read great things on monroe reflexes-- the reflexes are only made for trucks-- and would give them a good, solid luck. you get what you pay for with monroe-- I'd avoid their mid to low end stuff like the plague.

Originally Posted By: meep
keep in mind Bilstein makes the oem shocks for the Z71, so they have an application for your truck.

The Z71s haven't come with Bilsteins for over 10 years. Tenneco is what comes on them now.

weird. buddy here at work has an 07 z71 tahoe. oem bilsteins on it he claims. i did not look, but he's /extremely/ competent.... i wouldn't see him being off on this, especially since he's looked at the rears while chasing "clunks."

otoh the z71 ride felt soft, to me, for bilsteins. I'm curious now...

M

Last edited:
And my 05 has Bilsteins on it from the factory. So they do come on them sometimes.

I just threw out a completely blown KYB, we're not fans here. Note they would NOT cover it under warranty!

I say again, if you haven't investigated Gabriel Ultra's then you're missing a great shock at a great price.

echo that on kyb-warranty. I never had problems with my GR2's, and they were far better than oem! but I've heard folks complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back