SHELF LIFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed before. However, trying to do a search to find it, with the new way of searching on this forum is a joke.
Has anyone come up with any shelf life on dino or synthetic oils? In particular, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

Thanks in advance,

westex.

BTW, went to Advance Auto today. They are sold out of Pennzoil Platinum in the 5W-30 grade. They told me there is none available from any of the sources here in Lubbock TX. The BOGOF must worked great.

With a sealed container it is generally accepted that 10 years is a good shelf life. I would think that the ambient conditions the oil is stored in would make some difference, but if you keep it in a basement that is mostly below grade (so that the temperature and humidity is somewhat constant) I wouldn't hesitate to use 10 year oil oil.

I have always heard that if you open the container it's 1 year from that date and 3 years if sealed. I keep my oil in the garage but it never makes it past 1 year.

I have lost the link but Shell oil at one time stated a 10 year shelf life on their oils.

Hootbro

The bigger risk is that the oil becomes obsolete as the standards tighten up every few years.

I found two bottles of Dexron IIE in the garage whn I was cleanin thins up a few months ago. The car that it was left over from has long since left the family fleet. It might be good for something, but it isn't appropriate for any car I still have. It will be discarded.

I recently had an excellent UOA done and the oil was 12 year old SH rated synthetic. I have no problem using 'vintage' oil but I do agree that proper storage is important.

I e-mailed Pennzoil, but have not gotten a reply.
I'm storing my stash in a controlled envoirment. Temperture between 70F and 80F. It's dry here in Lubbock TX for the most part. From all the reading here I think I'm completely safe for a storage of 2 years prior to use.

Thanks for your responses.
cheers.gif

westex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back