Shattered window

2017 Ford escape.
Rear side window shattered driving on interstate about 80mph. Nice smooth road not close to other vehicles. Completely shattered.
Any one ever hear of this happening?
I did look for rock or bullet found nothing.

Tempered glass is supposedly under constant compression from what I understand. Just a little and it will break into all those little pieces. How about this quick temperature change causing shattering? Like turning on A/C in a really hot car. This piece mentions that there's a tiny crack and then when it gets stressed by a rapid temperature change it will blow up.

Yeah. I don't know I was 65 miles into trip when it happened 3 days ago.
It's weird.

Never heard of a car window but have heard of patio tables spontaneously shattering. Guess that scared the dickens out of you?

2017 Ford escape.
Rear side window shattered driving on interstate about 80mph. Nice smooth road not close to other vehicles. Completely shattered.
Any one ever hear of this happening?
I did look for rock or bullet found nothing.
It has been an issue for years for many makes/models with large dark tinted glass panels like panoramic sunroofs. Hyundai settled a class action lawsuit for several models. A co-worker experienced it in a Veloster while driving to work inside a tunnel. We spent an hour cleaning up the shards of glass with the janitor's upright vacuum cleaner and duct tape.

Exploding Glass Sunroofs

Similar thing happened to me years ago. Driving my 540 at highway speeds in moderate traffic on I-85, next thing I know I have a lap full of safety glass.

Chassis flex?

Did the glass blow in or out? Not sure what that would tell you. Did someone crack a window open?
Glass blew inside. Nope all windows were up. And had been for over an hour.
It's weird

Back