sending picture messages with wi fi on

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I had Samsung galaxy II's for the last two years ( we are with tmobile) and never had issues texting pics to one another, even with our wi fi turned on. She got an LG g2 the end of November and from that point on, she would not always get my pic messages. Now I got a Nokia 925 (windows 8) and neither one of us seems to be able to receive or send picture messages to each other when our wi fi is on. Sometimes my phone gives me a message that mine can't be sent. This occurs even when we have a wi fi signal. I even have a hard time receiving simple text messages from her that have some sort of emoticon in them. Now if I send something to my brother while connected, he gets it every time and he has an iPhone 5c with Verizon. Now, if we both have our wi fi off, our pics and texts go through no problem. Girl at the tmobile store told us that's just the way some of the newer phones are. Is that just a load of [censored], or is that just something her and I will have to live with? Other than. This one nagging issue, we both love our phones, ijust hate worrying whether or not she got my text, it really screwed things up during Christmas shopping for the kids this year.

This happens to me too with my Samsung S3. Have to turn the WiFi off to send a picture. Mobile data needs to be on when I want to download one.

Same thing happens with my LG Spectrum.

I used to kill the Data connection when connected to Wifi to save battery. Then I realized this happened.

With the most recent system "upgrade" from Verizon, I can't kill wifi *or* data.

I thought one of the advantages of the Samsung GSII+TMobile was you could use your wifi to make and receive calls/text (a feature many other phones lacked). They'd still count against your minutes/MB, but otherwise you were good to go.

That's something that attracted me to it, as all cellular signals are poor at my house.

with ting they charge you data to send pic messages, unless you are connected to wifi.. then no data charge works fine.

Ok, so at least I know they weren't feeding me a line of [censored]. I told my wife this is nuts... We spend hundreds of dollars on these phones, both of which I could probably get apps for to start a car, or read codes off of one, and neither one can send a picture message with the wi fi connected.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: afoulk
....and neither one can send a picture message with the wi fi connected.
mad.gif

The carriers/service providers want you to have to use data from your data package, hoping that you go over your plan limit so they can charge you even more money for going over. They are blocking WiFi usage (for text data) on certain phones to force you to use their data. It sounds like this is what's happening to you.

The one -and only- good thing about Sprint is the unlimited data. Sometimes it is like unlimited water through a crimped swizzle stick due to their crummy network, but at least there isn't a cap to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
The carriers/service providers want you to have to use data from your data package, hoping that you go over your plan limit so they can charge you even more money for going over. They are blocking WiFi usage (for text data) on certain phones to force you to use their data. It sounds like this is what's happening to you.

Yeah, that's the only thing that would make me consider them. I wanted to go with at&t this time, but my wife wanted to stay with T-Mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back