Sell OE wheels and replace with aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in January, I put a set of winter wheels/tires on my ATS. Now that I have those for the cold months, I'd probably prefer a set of summer tires (rather than the OE all-season Michelin MXM4 ZP set that is on my OE wheels) for the warmer months.

I like the aftermarket rims that I got for my winter tires. Do you guys think I'd be making a mistake to get another set of those with summer tires and then sell the OE wheels with tires on them?

Interesting how after realizing the benefits of winter tires you want the same for summer. I went through the same thing and will always have the winter/summer tires.

As for wheels, I'd use the OEM. Are they not match balanced from the factory for best ride? Your car. High quality, tasteful aftermarket wheels look good and are most likely lighter, plus you can go to a narrower sidewall and really reap the benefits of a good summer tire. But this is Michigan and those potholes will eat you up; something to think about.

Put the winter tires on the OE's and the summer tires on the wheels that are on now. The OE's will hold up better in Michigan's winters/potholes.

Last edited:
List on Craigslist and see if you can get good price. Otherwise if you have room to store these, they may help the trade-in or sale value, to have clean new looking OE rims back on the vehicle. Rims do deteriorate from road salt, moisture and chipped paint.

If you keep the car forever then sell the OEM wheels to offset some of the aftermarket wheels, if you have any plan to trade in the CTS some years down the road then most dealers like to have OEM wheels.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I am assuming this is a purchase, not a lease?

Correct. I own the vehicle and intend to keep it for a while. If/when it comes time, I would most-likely sell it privately.

I like the looks of VERY expensive BBS, or Speedline type wheels on those Caddies, similar to the spoke patterns they are using on the factory road racing versions (with an equivalent low treadwear, very sticky, "R" type compound tire).

BUT, you would probably not be willing to spend the coin this setup would cost.
frown.gif

In a nutshell, you will have to pay significantly for aftermarket wheels of OEM quality. So many of them are now Chinese, and made of seemingly soft aluminum. While price is no assurance of quality, it is often the first indicator.

With that in mind, my answer is: Go for it!

AS suggested, country of origin can make a difference in quality...or perceived quality....
Perceptions....
Japanese over Chinese
US over Japanese
European over US
...it's about preference, of course, and about perception...(is soft worse than hard-brittle aluminum alloy?)...

...and aesthetics...
I've seen Caddys with (IIRC) with beautiful 12/14 symmetrical long spoke train-type wheels...and other not so hot blingy type...

If the two sets of wheels are the same size, you could think of swapping the tires on them (ie. if both 19-inch: winter tires on OE set; summer tires on aftermarket).

If they are different sizes, then the option you had in mid would probably be easiest.

Since there is a lot that can factor a good aftermarket wheel vs. cheap stuff, I still like (and value) the idea of keeping the factory set. Not to mention, most cheap wheels are much heavier than their stock counterparts.

I think selling the stock wheels would be a mistake if you ever intend to sell it. Maybe even if you don't, Taste/styles change.

One other thing to consider, aftermarket wheels are often discontinued. If something ever happens to one of them will you be able to get a replacement?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I think selling the stock wheels would be a mistake if you ever intend to sell it. Maybe even if you don't, Taste/styles change.

One other thing to consider, aftermarket wheels are often discontinued. If something ever happens to one of them will you be able to get a replacement?

This...
Which why I bought a set of FIVE....

Last edited:
If you go with aftermarket wheels, don't let cost drive your decision. To get good quality in the aftermarket, you'll have to pay for it. Your OEM wheels are probably better quality than MOST (but not all) of the mainstream aftermarket wheels.

My own opinion, I think your ATS looks superb on the OEM wheels.

Unless they're very nice, if I'm looking at a used car and it has aftermarket wheels the value of the vehicle drops instantly (in my eyes).

This is dependent on a number of things though, for example if you put Enkei RPF1's on any car I intend to purchase for autocrossing or track days and the value goes up. BBS on anything is gold to me.

Warstud and Smokescreen both said to keep doing what I'm doing. I assume that means sticking with the OE rims and all-season tires. And then when the all-seasons are worn, I can/will replace them with summer tires.

In terms of all the feedback about the quality of the rims, I was losing sight of that a bit. While my winter rims look nice, they were cheap, so unlikely of comparable quality.

I'll probably stick with what I've got unless someone comes in with a very large offer on my OE rims+tires.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back