Seldom driven 5.7 LS1 Fuel Inj. Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I've got a 99 WS6 with the 5.7 LS1 motor in it that gets driven 1000-1200 miles per year so as you can tell, it spends WAY more time sitting.

This upcoming season, I'd like to run some good, quality injector cleaners.

Any suggestiongs?

The theory is that cleaners will loosen deposits that may contaminate the oil slightly. So, I run them on the last tankful just before an oil change. Just an extra little measure that also reminds me of regular intervals of use.

Not sure if this is a fuel injector cleaner or a cylinder head cleaner, but my buddy was mentioning this product made by GM where you can actually hook it up to one of the vacuum lines, rev the motor to 1200 or so rpm's and let it do it's thing?

Originally Posted By: Striker
Thanks guys, keep them coming. Is it always advised to put the cleaner in THAN do an oil change?

Striker,

I usually add a bottle or two after I do an OCI. Wether it'll contaminate the fresh oil or not I can't say but I admit I don't worry about it. Before or after I never had any issues myself.

Durango

Thanks Durango-

Now I just have to land on a product that works well. I was really hoping to see if there was a forum favorite.

If you want a good FI cleaner and UCL I would go with Red Line's offering. If an engine sits for long periods of time you can get flash rusting in the cylinders, especially if you live near salt water. A good UCL can help reduce or eliminate that. What is nice about the RL product is it can be added to the fuel all the time if you follow their maintenance dose recommendation.

I have a van that sometimes logged under 1000 miles/year, and would sit for weeks or months w/o being started. I always made sure the engine was treated with MMO in the fuel or fed MMO via an inverse oiler to help reduce or eliminate flash rusting.

Drive that jewel more often. It is better to wear it out driving it that letting it rot to death. Cars are made to be driven.

Demar- What is UCL? I'm assuming FI (fuel inj) and UCL are two different cleaners offered by RedLine?

SteveS-I don't drive it much because I simply don't wanna ruin it cosmetically. No rain, No highway driving, No empty parking lots, etc. Sunday driver
wink.gif

Gotta agree with Steve - cars were built to be driven. It's more harmful having a car sit endlessly and hardly driven, than driving it regulaly. I understand winter is an issue, but during the summer, get it out as much as you can!

Originally Posted By: Striker
Demar- What is UCL? I'm assuming FI (fuel inj) and UCL are two different cleaners offered by RedLine?

UCL= Upper Cylinder Lube. The RL product is a cleaner and UCL all in one, and a very good product at that!

DemarPaint-I've heard of RL products before for FI cleaning, I think I'll order a few bottles as I don't have any for sale localy.

AddyGuy-I love to drive the car, but I love keeping it minty fresh even more I think. It's a love hate relationship, trust me. I winterize the car properly so I'm not worried about it over the winter months but in the summer month's it's hard especially when you're in the car business working the hours.

My goal is to keep it looking like this for as long as I physically can.

undercarriage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back