Seeking out stick vs settling for an automatic

It isn't, but I respect you're not willing to understand that. Again, sadly this discussion
is pointless due to lack of understanding. Repeating marketing BS doesn't substitute
common sense or technical expertise.
It's too bad you don't understand English. I do have a degree in electrical engineering. As the saying goes, 4 years ago, I couldn't spell engineer, today I is one.

It's one thing to talk about theory and another to talk about practice. You don't seem to know the difference.

That’s the thing “everything being equal” is not the case. Most auto are 8 speed now, many are 10. The increase in efficiency of the extra gears outweighs the loss of efficiency due to the fluid system.
If you could get a 6 spd manual with the same top gear as the automatic, you probably could get better mileage mileage with the manual but you would have to work at it for sure. At a steady state 70mph the manual should win as well, given an equal top gear, but I don't know of any cars that have a manual geared for efficiency as it would require a few more downshifts to avoid lugging.

That’s the thing “everything being equal” is not the case. Most auto are 8 speed now, many are 10. The increase in efficiency of the extra gears outweighs the loss of efficiency due to the fluid system.
Yeah but who really wants to have to shift 8 or more times to get on the highway. At a certain point it's not worth it.
The big inefficiencies in autos were the torque converter and lack of gears. Lock-up torque converters, more gears, more "intelligent" control and, of course, different style autos (CVT, DCT) mean they have gone way up in efficiency.

You seem to spend a lot of time defining yourself by the vehicles you drive and what others think of your decisions.

If you're going to keep doing this, do so knowing this isn't logical or defensible.

So make yourself happy, either through introspection, or by getting what you think will make you look cool.

Last edited:
Back