Seeking out stick vs settling for an automatic

I haven’t purchased an automatic car in years. Our van and trucks are automatic but any sedan or hatch back I buy has to be a stick. Over the years I’m sure I’ve passed on some killer deals because the cars were automatics. Does this conviction of sorts make any sense to anyone else? Especially in this car market where good deals are sparse? My main reason for buying sticks is the fun factor and the reliability factor. There isn’t many out there though, mostly all automatic cars being sold. Then you have the electric car craze which makes me think eventually manual transmissions will be complete history. Do I just hop on the bandwagon or do I cling to three peddles and a gear shifter? What say you?

Buy what you want but your manual choices are very limited. What cars come with manuals, just VW?

I've made a lot of early trades because I just wasn't able to be happy with the automatic version of several cars i've had. They way they program modern automatics makes me crazy. They're in a terrible rush to get to top gear, and switching to manual and using the paddles (if so equipped) isn't a viable substitute, as the transmission still responds when it feels like it.

I vote hold out, because if you're like me, you'll try to be happy with the automatic, and end up getting rid of it soon anyway.

These look like the same car, but I actually bought the first one in 2017, and kept it for about 3600 miles. The 2nd one I flew to Denver and drove back to Dallas in 2021, because manuals are impossible to find here. They're both 2017s. :)

Don't be me.

1st 2017.jpg
2017-2S.jpg

Last edited:
I have had many manual trans cars as it was in vogue after the energy crisis in the 70's.

Today I buy automatics only.
Many cars actually get better mpgs with cvts over manuals.

In the end limited selection and getting tired in heavy traffic made me switch over.

Whatever works for you.

I'm going the opposite. Just sold my Forester 6 speed and looking for an automatic daily driver. Been driving my fiance's 2019 Sentra since late August, and to be honest, I really like the way it drives. I'm getting tired of having manual DDs.

My pickup is a manual. But the off road toy jeep functions a lot better as an automatic anyway.

I own both. If a stick is part of the fun for you, then definitely hold out for one. I specifically looked for a manual when buying my Jeep, and I'm glad I got it. There are days I'm glad my car is an automatic, and also days I wish it was a stick. Both of my vehicles are fun to drive. I think a manual trans can add to the fun factor on a car that is fun to begin with.

I haven’t purchased an automatic car in years. Our van and trucks are automatic but any sedan or hatch back I buy has to be a stick. Over the years I’m sure I’ve passed on some killer deals because the cars were automatics. Does this conviction of sorts make any sense to anyone else? Especially in this car market where good deals are sparse? My main reason for buying sticks is the fun factor and the reliability factor. There isn’t many out there though, mostly all automatic cars being sold. Then you have the electric car craze which makes me think eventually manual transmissions will be complete history. Do I just hop on the bandwagon or do I cling to three peddles and a gear shifter? What say you?
I had sticks growing up including my 1965 Mustang with a Hurst shifter with a "T" handle (boy did that "T" get hot in the summer). But have had automatics most of my adult life. The current automatics are very fuel efficient and dependable.

If you consider resale, automatic is the only way to go unless a real sports car.

Some automatics are great (ZF 8 for example) while others are miserable slush boxes that suck all the fun out of everything (Chrysler 545RFE/65RFE, most CVT’s) so it very highly depends on what you’re looking to buy.

When I was in college I broke my right arm. Had to borrow my wifes automatic till it healed which seemed like forever. She had a 1963 Falcon Sprint. I had a 1955 VW bug. Couldn't wait to get back in my bug. Still have a bug but it is a 1965 with 12 volt conversion and a 1600 single port motor. Now I have 4 vehicles that are stick and 5 that are automatics. Sticks are better with low power motors and all mine are VW's.

I think with compact cars and sub compacts, manual is the way to go unless you are bumper to bumper traffic alot, or drive at 70mph+ as the top gears are often silly low. The VW DCT if you can manually control it sometimes would be fine too, although check the top gear with those too, my buddy's mid 2000's jetta tdi with the dct has a similar short top gear like my Focus for no good reason, even though it has double the torque at that rpm? Just the sheer stupidity of revving a turbo diesel that high to go 70mph would get on my nerves after a while...
Anyways, I drive a manual for the fun of it, zipping around town or a windy road, rev matching a few downshifts, winding the motor out to the exact rpm you want to hear, shifting exactly when you want to, is simple fun in a simple little car.
We went with the CVT on the Outback for efficiency, slightly better offroadability, and lower NVH as the last year of the manual was 2017. In manual mode the trans responds pretty quickly but its main job is to go places with as little fuss as possible

Actively sought out a stick on our last vehicle purchase in early 2021. One, so my kids can learn to drive a stick and secondly for the fun factor. Took a while, but I think it was worth it. The CX-5 in my signature.

Auto vs. Manual is a give and take of ATF life vs Clutch life.

At the core, do you want to do a spill and fill every 30,000 miles to not have to shift gears, or are you fine with replacing a clutch and flywheel at least once every 200,000 miles, but you have to be vigilant against stalling and rollbacks?

Beyond that, unless there is a price or reliability difference, it doesn't matter to me if all else is identical for a daily driver, but, racecar is racecar.

I've got both, and often really prefer the simplicity of the automatics. It's honestly sometimes a real hassle to drive the manuals. But sometimes the manuals are a hoot.

I'd suggest looking for an automatic that allows manual shifting, paddle shifts on the steering wheel or tiptronic type shifting. Most makers have these available now for at least a decade. Seems like a good compromise IMO.

Depends on what your intended use for the vehicle is really. I wish I had held on to my M5 and just kept it as a toy in the garage. I miss driving stick and that car was a hoot. Didn't make a bad summer DD and everybody fit in it. The Jeep is by far a better all around-er, in terms of utility, but I miss having a toy.

If its a sports car, its gotta be stick. For everything else, auto. I drove a porse 911 pdk, and it was close to the manual but nothing beats a 3rd peddle. They are terribly hard to find around here, since traffic is a nightmare. The good thing is if you do find one, they're often much lower mileage.

If it's more of a DD-type vehicle (Accord, M6, etc.), once you find a stick you tend to be able to get a better deal since no one can drive them/wants them anymore and they often sit longer on dealer lots. IMO for a stick you need to be willing to do a nation-wide search to give yourself somewhat of the choice in the matter...buy a one-way to pick it up and enjoy using all of your appendages to get it back home!

It depends how fun the said car is. If it's actually a fun car meant to be driven just for fun then I'd say stick but DD'ing a stick car (especially since traffic and construction this year seems to be worse than anything in the past 2 decades) is horrible. Traffic during a morning commute may not be as bad for you in S. MO though. I guess you just gotta find the car with an auto that's actually reliable. I don't think my 2-hour commute to work last Thursday in any stick shift car would have gone as smooth as the CVT fusion I'm using at the moment (1 hour is normal; 43 miles.)

Back