Sealer for differential covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience is mixed.

On my Ford, the Permatex worked fine.

on my Jeep, I re-did it twice, and it still leaked. After that I made a gasket.

Someone suggested that a factory gasket would be available listed under a different application, and it was. Now it is running the factory gasket.

If I had to use the RTV again, I would use Permatex's The Right Stuff. Applies out of a pressurized can, and I believe the same product used by OEMs. Not cheap though.

The OEM gasket on my truck differential's was gray RTV silicone.
When I changed the fluid out, I used the orange colored high temp RTV silicone with good success. I did wait about an hour after replacing the cover to allow the gasket to set before I poured the new fluid in.

I agree with the Rebel. I use Permatex Copper RTV. Its the Hi-Temp stuff and for the slight price difference over the regular Blue or Black, I go with it. Works great on Valve Covers, too.

quote:

on my Jeep, I re-did it twice, and it still leaked. After that I made a gasket.

Someone suggested that a factory gasket would be available listed under a different application, and it was. Now it is running the factory gasket.

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee. The front axle is a Dana 30 and the rear is a Dana 35 (i think).
Where did you find the gasket?

[ December 18, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Brett Miller ]

Red or Black Silicone sealer.
Clear or blue is for amateurs.
You have to really clean the surfaces to be sealed. You can't have oil in the pores of the metal. Lots of brake cleaner and elbow grease, and then the silicone won't leak, and will be permanent.

If you would like their is a high torgue "gray" that Import OEM's are useing for valve covers and such. THe black work well and so does the orange/red stuf.Permatex makes a lot of OEM sealants so their is nothing wrong with PErmatex! If I can not get it in the calking gun size tube I normaly avoid it.

Did you try going back a few years on the gasket. My 2001 Dakota did not have one either. I hade the parts guy go back a lot of years and their she was. Felpro still made a gasket for my diff. but it was not listed for my year because the OEM did not use a gasket thaqt year they used RTV.

After you get a gasket you put some gasket shallac on and you are ready!!

RTV does a fine job if you do a good job prepping and do not over torq. it! I still prefer a real gasket when ever possable!

Brett Miller :

quote:

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee. The front axle is a Dana 30 and the rear is a Dana 35 (i think).
Where did you find the gasket?

My Jeep is a 2002 Liberty with the Chrysler 8.25 inch rear axle. That may be yours, if you aren't sure, because I thought in the Liberty the Dana 35 is used with the 4-cylinder.

Savvier owners than me realized immediately that the gasket would be listed for older models since the axle has been in use since the 60s.

Now the aftermarket has realized it too and they list it for the Liberty.
The proper gasket for the 8-1/4 rear is a FelPro RDS55047.

Actually, before posting, I did some searching at Advance Auto Parts online Advance Auto . 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo = RDS 55047 for both 6-cyl, and V8, both Limited model and Laredo. That may be it.

for anyone with a camaro or firebird/transam

for a 98-02 f-body, they only list the rear end gasket for a 99 i think, only one of the years

I've always used regular black Permatrex over the years. The secret to a diff sealing well with RTV is the prep work of cleaning all the crap off the metal so they mate perfectly. Never had a leaky differntial cover.

quote:

for anyone with a camaro or firebird/transam for a 98-02 f-body, they only list the rear end gasket for a 99 i think, only one of the years

For my 2001 Camaro my Chevrolet parts guy found a gasket 26016661 that worked just fine. If Bubba has been there, and the cover has been bent a Fel Pro RDS55072 will fit and be a little thicker. Don't fall for that RTV c*&p.
Terry

Brent, I bought my wife a $10,000 horse of her dreams and all I got was horse poop.
crushedcar.gif

For you F150 owners,like me,here are FelPros gasket numbers for the 8.8 and 9.75 differential;
8.8= RDS-55431
9.75= RDS-55394
I always use gaskets to seal the differential cover!
cool.gif

One excellent product which goes un noticed is the Japanese Tri Bond, it is also available with Honda, Yamaha and other Japanese motorcycle dealers and goes by the name of Hondabond, Yamahabond etc. You can also find it in HINO truck parts as it is OEM to HINO engines. 8)

quote:

Originally posted by 9c1:

quote:

for anyone with a camaro or firebird/transam for a 98-02 f-body, they only list the rear end gasket for a 99 i think, only one of the years

For my 2001 Camaro my Chevrolet parts guy found a gasket 26016661 that worked just fine. If Bubba has been there, and the cover has been bent a Fel Pro RDS55072 will fit and be a little thicker. Don't fall for that RTV c*&p.
Terry

I was able to buy one for my 2002 WS6 from GM parts, it was listed for a 2002. When I took off the cover, 2 gaskets were on there and when I opened that package, 2 gaskets were in it. So if a Friebird uses 2 gaskets, a Camaro should also. I have the Thorsen Limited slip axle.

My 2004 GMC has factory gaskets in place. I never use RTV sealers for anything that hold lubricants. They require patience and knowledge and which to use for each situation. Different fluids require the correct RTV sealant, one does not fit all. Also improper tightening can lead to failures.

[ December 25, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back