Seagate announces 3TB 3.5" disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-...ss&attr=all

Only works with 64 bit Windows (and Linux &Mac, too).

"This is because the LBA (logical block addressing) standard built into the original version of DOS is not able to assign enough addresses (identifiers) to all the sections of a drive beyond 2.1TB. This is circumvented in 64bit systems by what is called a 'Long LBA'."

I'm thinking this also works with WinXP 64-bit and/or Windows 2003 Server 64-bit version.

Just don't ask WinXP 32 bit to see it all...

The kicker is "out by end of 2010". Vaporware.
spankme2.gif

you can still use the first 2.1TB if you want the speed, but if you are spending big money on a big drive, most likely you will run a newer OS as well, right?

Seagate harddrives are fairly unreliable anymore. I'm a big fan of Western Digital, just look at reviews on newegg, seagate has reliability issues.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

You can't boot to a GPT-based volume in any current non-EFI BIOS computer. Secondary volumes would be created GPT-based as large as you need/can afford.

I've always set up Linux machines with a small boot partition of 10MB or so that contains the kernel image. That way, as long as the BIOS can access the first 10MB of the drive, things will work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back