Screw-up: ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 went into GM 6l45 (E90 BMW 328i xdrive, 103k mi.) What now?

Greetings enthusiasts and experts,

ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 was inadvertently used for an initial trans maintenance service at 103k mi via pan drop / fluid refill on my 2011 BMW E90 328i xdrive. This vehicle has the GM 6l45 trans. The fluid which came with the kit and should have gone in was Liqui Moly 1800.

The trans feels fine so far running the ZF. To drain and refill, or not to drain and refill. That is the question.

Also,

1. Why could running with the ZF LGF8 be problematic?
2. Would doing another exchange be pushing my luck on a trans with 103k?
3. If refilling, is a double drain and fill necessary?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Nothing bad will happen :)

A pan drop is not necessary if there is a drain plug. Also, LM 1800 is GM-approved Dexron VI
By "nothing bad will happen" if I leave the ZF ATF within, are you saying the ZF and LM are compatible? Are they both synthetic and do they have the same viscosity? Thanks you. Vic

Changing fluids without clear reason could be worse than the problem itself. First, what's the problem? To answer that, we have to know the difference between the two fluids, which I've heard is minimal. Second, we should know what technique would be used for the exchange (drain and fill 1X, or 2X? Pan drop?) and if higher detergent concentration means more risk to small passageways. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is better than "fixing" the problem. That's why I'm putting it to the group. Searching for answers to these tricky questions. Thanks just the same. V

GM 6lxx with a close to Dex VI viscosity. Sounds like it won't care and will be happy. At the end of the day it is a GM trans.

Changing fluids without clear reason could be worse than the problem itself.
Not necessarily. My guess (just a guess) is that the LifeGuard fluid is close enough that it won't make a difference. I know the MaxLife ATF which I currently have in my 6L45 meets the GM Dex VI and the ZF specs, so I'm betting they are similar fluids.

With that said, I'd probably do two drain and fills to swap most of the fluid with the correct stuff if it were mine, just for peace of mind.

Not necessarily. My guess (just a guess) is that the LifeGuard fluid is close enough that it won't make a difference. I know the MaxLife ATF which I currently have in my 6L45 meets the GM Dex VI and the ZF specs, so I'm betting they are similar fluids.

With that said, I'd probably do two drain and fills to swap most of the fluid with the correct stuff if it were mine, just for peace of mind.
One does not know that. You only know that Valvoline considers it suitable for use in those transmissions that list the licenses. Only they know if it meets the requirements.

Having said that, I use Maxlife in every vehicle I maintain where the license, specification or approval is listed on the PDS as recommended.

Did you do it yourself? I so, I would change it to the LM 1800, or equivalent.

Sure, it could be fine, but will Slacktide buy you a new transmission if something happens?
I didn't do it myself. It was done by my indi. Most folks here seem to say the two fluids are similar enough that concern isn't warranted.

I didn't do it myself. It was done by my indi. Most folks here seem to say the two fluids are similar enough that concern isn't warranted.
Did they supply the fluid, did you request the fluid, or was it what they used? If they supplied it and I had no input then my OCD would probably get the best of me. I'd probably ask Indy if they'll guarantee me there won't be a problem. The answer more than likely will be no, then I'd have them put the proper fluid in at their expense.

I brought the indy two trans maintenance kits and they used the ATF from the wrong one. The problem with a guaranty is trans issues caused by a similar ATF, it it comes to be, won't be for many moons. The problem with a drain and fill is it will be partial. So, double drain and fill, then hold my breath that they do it right again? Or, perhaps the trans will view it as a flush, with associated risks... Trans feels good currently. So, maybe leaving it alone is the right course. I wish the viscosity difference between the two ATF's was known, but it seems that data is unavailable. Thanks.

I brought the indy two trans maintenance kits and they used the ATF from the wrong one. The problem with a guaranty is trans issues caused by a similar ATF, it it comes to be, won't be for many moons. The problem with a drain and fill is it will be partial. So, double drain and fill, then hold my breath that they do it right again? Or, perhaps the trans will view it as a flush, with associated risks... Trans feels good currently. So, maybe leaving it alone is the right course. I wish the viscosity difference between the two ATF's was known, but it seems that data is unavailable. Thanks.
Tough call, they made a mistake, but had you brought just the fluid and kit for the car in question there would have been no chance of a mistake. Having said that they still made a mistake. An exchange done properly will get as close to all of the ATF out as humanly possible. If it is bothering you enough that's an option, or if you're certain based on the info you're gathering here that there won't be a problem leave it alone. As I said earlier there's a good chance my OCD would get the best of me and I'd probably do a fluid exchange.

Why did you bother asking if you’d already made your mind up to leave the (your words: ) “close enough” fluid in there, because if there were any problems they would be “far down the road”? Depending on how wrong the fluid is, “far down the road” may be by the end of the week.

Shame on your indie for not verifying which fluid you actually wanted them to use prior to filling it, or what the transmission actually calls for. That’s not a mechanic I’d be using again.

Thanks to all. I've decided to change it out by draining / refilling 2X. First will be with Dextron VI, and 2nd will be to use the originally intended Liqui Moly 1800 (which I understand is identical, or nearly so).

Changing fluids without clear reason could be worse than the problem itself. First, what's the problem? To answer that, we have to know the difference between the two fluids, which I've heard is minimal. Second, we should know what technique would be used for the exchange (drain and fill 1X, or 2X? Pan drop?) and if higher detergent concentration means more risk to small passageways. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is better than "fixing" the problem. That's why I'm putting it to the group. Searching for answers to these tricky questions. Thanks just the same. V
I did 2 flushes in a short time on my 4L60E trans when it had 192k miles with the original fluid as far as I knew. Actually I did a pan drop initially with a new filter, but the cooler lines were leaking and I didn't want to disturb them, so I had them replaced at the shop, along with a complete 12L flush.
Then when I realized they used multi vehicle fluid I only ran it for about another 15-20k I think, before I flushed it with the dexron 6.
Now I'm at 240k miles and plan to do another flush in the spring.
I've done this kind of thing on enough of my vehicles that I'm not convinced it's a huge risk.

Back