Screw in tire...repair or replace ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new tires from discount tire on April 15th. They are falken 65000. Wife ran over screw and it's near the corner of the tire but still repairable - barely in zone. They will repair for free or replace for prorated price of $28. Usually I'd be fine with repair but given these are brand new I'm wondering if I should just replace it vs driving 60k on a repair. Then again she could pick up a new screw tomorrow. Any opinions?

If it's repairable..repair it. If it is borderline(location or size of screw) then I would be more cautious and just replace it. Also, 28 bucks is 28 bucks.. To me I'd use it to fill up the tank..almost all the way.. or take the lady out on a date..almost..lol I guess 28 bucks doesn't go too far now a days does it?

But, if it is repaired correctly there should be zero concern for driving on it for said 60k miles. If it will hold for 5000 miles, it should hold for 60,000 miles.

I've heard the tire loses its speed rating once it was repaired. What vehicle is this on and what kind of driving?

$28 sounds very cheap to get the tire replaced. Use your judgement I guess.

I had a screw removed from a tire on my Jetta this week. The tire shop just plugged the hole and good to go. If the damage is in an area that is reparable, then by all means repair it. No worries.

Actually I repair my own tires, and have repaired (internal patch no plugs) holes in areas that they now claim are not repairable (edge of tread) and never had any problems with a repaired tire. Of course I don't drive 100+ mph either. Or race.

I have a couple internal patches in our tires over the years and never had an issue. I don't keep track of which tire has a patch either, but I hit 80mph for about a minute a year and spend most of the time below 65.

since the tires are new, the logical thing to do is get it replaced for 28 bucks. if 28 bucks is an issue, then that's just sad.
but,opinions vary.
have a good day.

I've repaired or have had repairs done on many tires over the years, both patches and plugs (and even combinations of both).

Never had an issue with any of them. And I have patched and/or plugged at the edge of the tread. Again no issues. But I've never taken any of the tires beyond normal freeway speeds.

I'd just repair myself based on my past experiences unless I was running these tires above freeway speeds.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I'd let them patch the tire. Do what fits your wallet.

+1 a good patch I wouldn't be concerned about. Save your money.

$28 for a new tire sounds like a good deal to me. Thats like a fast food meal for the family. I know what my choice would be.

Repairs are NOT guaranteed. That tire could have a pinhole leak for the rest of its life or at worst case, a blowout that kills your entire family. I'd hate to die on the interstate over $28.

The guidelines for tire repair are very conservative but should be followed.

A long, long time ago out in the desert half way to nowhere I patched a hole in the sidewall of tire from the inside and drove at reduced speed the 20 or so miles back to civilization with no problems. I would never do this especially on a public highway if I had any other way out but it was better than walking. The first thing I did upon arrival was replace the patched tire.

I have patched tires in the tread area with never a problem.

Any car my wife or daughter drives would get a replacement tire. My car would typically get the repaired tire but for $28.00 I'd replace it on mine too.

Originally Posted By: opus1
DT is very conservative, so if they're OK with patching, that's a good sign.

I'm not so sure about that. My experience with them is that they tend to be quite liberal with patching if their road hazard warranty is at stake.

I've had screws plugged/patched on my last 3 trucks/SUVs. All were near 5000 lbs or heavier. I never had an issue with either. I paid more for my last repair, than your new tire would cost. For $28, I probably would pick the new tire - as long as that also includes mounting and balancing. In my cases, the new tires would have been $160-$250 each.

Thanks for the replies. It's a honda odyssey by the way. I am just having it replaced with a new tire. Although I feel the repair would be fine the very fact that I am debating it so much means it will probably bug me thinking about it more than 28 dollars worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back