SCORE - old outboard with pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought a 1972 Montgomery Wards , Clinton , Sea King 5 horsepower outboard motor for $30. It included the gas tank which had 3 gallons of gas in it. The owner told me that the motor had no spark .
I pulled the flywheel and discovered that the spark plug wire had pulled out of the coil. I snipped off a 1/4 inch piece and voila... SPARK. This morning it was running great. Here are some pictures.
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/2160/img0413f.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/901/img0412wm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4114/img0409zs.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img805/6903/img0410lu.jpg

Many owners just use the products they have until it broke down then junk it, many of the "broken equipments" are so easy to fix and then it runs like new.

It's good that you take chance of buying this motor for almost nothing and spend 5 minutes to fix it and it works.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
many of the "broken equipments" are so easy to fix and then it runs like new.

I know, its a shame really, but I'm not complaining personally. I had the option to spend a few hundred bucks on a lawnmower, but being a cheap [censored], I picked up a few that were abandoned as trash.

I ended up selling two and kept the best one, all three cost nothing to fix. Was a joke they were hucked out.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Many owners just use the products they have until it broke down then junk it, many of the "broken equipments" are so easy to fix and then it runs like new.

It's good that you take chance of buying this motor for almost nothing and spend 5 minutes to fix it and it works.

I really spent 3-4 hours total. I made a flywheel puller out of aluminum plate. I filed and re-set points, put new lower end grease , shear pin and cotter.I have never worked on a Clinton motor so there is a learning curve and internet research.
I take the recoil off and use my cordless drill with a socket to turn the motor over. It saves a lot of effort.
I am getting pretty good fixing small engines. I recently bought a 2001 craftsman lt1000 19.5 hp riding mower for $175 with a dump cart. New belt, starter , sharpened blades , and battery. $65 in parts. Its worth 4-450. The guy i bought it from is letting me store it in his garage for the winter and work on it there.

Cool beans. I love resurrections like this and I commend you on getting this old two smoke running again.

Old Clinton story: Many years ago I lived on the shore of a lake north of Tampa and kept a small dingy with a 1.5 horse Clinton out back. After work I would often hop in the boat with my dog and fish the shoreline for bass. If I circumnavigated the whole lake it would take me nearly 3 hours so I usually just did a smaller section of the lake.

One day I chose to work the entire lake and a large thunderstorm snuck up on me when I was at the opposite end of the lake. I fired up the old Clinton and puttered across the lake to my apartment at barely walking speed. It took half an hour to cross the lake and we were drenched in a torrential downpour as lightning struck all around, my dog was looking at me like I was an idiot.

We made it home safely and the memory of that day back in the 80's is still vivid in my mind.

Nice!

Those oldies are great to have around, especially if they have a built in fuel tank or use a standard primer-bulb tank hook-up.

We've got two old 1950's Evinrudes. A 9hp and an 18hp. They're great aside from the pressurized fuel tanks they need.

a couple of years ago I picked a Johnson 3 hp-I traced the serial number to 1962-but haven't done any resto on it yet----I just pull the cord once in a while to keep it from seizing up
Can you believe it is a 2 cylinder 3 Hp--wonder why back then they thought it necessary to have 2 cyl ?

Originally Posted By: steve20
a couple of years ago I picked a Johnson 3 hp-I traced the serial number to 1962-but haven't done any resto on it yet----I just pull the cord once in a while to keep it from seizing up
Can you believe it is a 2 cylinder 3 Hp--wonder why back then they thought it necessary to have 2 cyl ?

A lot of the old motors could not muster much rpm or power so they had to have 2 cylinders.Motors are built so much tighter these days. Spray a bit of wd-40 in the plug hole. It makes a great fog oil for old motors.
I was given a 1969 Evinrude sport twin last summer .It was a 9.5 hp.The owner said that the fuel pump was gone. the pump was missing a few parts and i had a friend supply a carburetor to replace the old leaky one. It ran great after that. The fuel pumps are almost universal too. I made a nice $300 profit on that one.
Either I am getting good at small engines or they are just not very complicated. I have fixed and sold a dozen or more this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back