School me on camera tripods

Is there some kind of brand that's well known for making quality camera tripods? I'm totally out of the loop on this subject.

I have a little Nikon Coolpix P2. It has a 1/4"-20 threaded tripod receptacle. I need the tripod mainly for taking macro shots because the camera won't tolerate any kind of shakiness at all during macro mode. Give me the full rundown. :)

I don't know what you're looking to spend. But you might want to check out some of these shooting tripods. They are built much more robustly than the cheaper camera tripods. And many have adapter plates with the screw stud for mounting a camera on.

manfrotto. i have model 475b that i use with my 18 pounds giant astronomy binoculars. they can support giant binoculars up to 45 pounds. if you want something stable , strong and sturdy, manfrotto is a good choice.

I'm a professional cinematographer for 30+ years now, and personally I prefer Vinten and O'Connor for a number of reasons (reasons that don't apply to still photography) - during the last decade most of the better brands where bought by Videndum though: O'Connor, Avenger, Gizo, Manfrotto, Joby, Sachtler, Vinten etc, it's all the same company now, and - let's put it that way - the quality didn't got better since than.

What I want to say is, get a used pro tripod, instead of a new hobby/semipro tripod, and save some money while doing that.
For example: everything that says Manfrotto, Cartoni or Gizo that is at least 8-10 years old will serve you well for the rest of your life.

I have a Manfrotto but use a Really Right Stuff Ultralight for many years and it has held up rather well. My #1 tripod is Peak Designs carbon fiber. They did a great job with a small and light design.

How's this one? It's got the 1/4"-20 screw piece on top that I need.

A lot of tripods I see don't have the 1/4"-20 screw piece.

This is the only pic I could find easily, not something I'd buy. You want a setup that can do this.

611nLy0R2fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back