Schaeffers in commercial mower w/Honda power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in southern Missori where it would be 40-100 deg F during mowing season (generally 60-100). The Scag commercial mower is Honda 21 hp twin w/spinon filter. 1.8 qt capacity. Honda gives several weight oil choices 5-30, 10-30, 10-40, 30wt, 40wt. It looks like 10w-30 0r 10w-40 would work well. I keep the mower in the garage and occasionally have to gas it up and move if for whatever reason in the winter but would probably never be started below 32 deg F. Would 15w-40 be good also. I will be using 10w-30 in my vehicles soon but feel maybe 10w-40 or 15w-40 would be better choices for the mower. Also, would you run neutra or soy in the gas? Neutra in the oil? Thanks for the help, Gary.

Of the BobZoil multiweights, I'd prefer the 15w40, though the 10w40 or even the 10w30 might do well too. No experience with the soy, so no opinion on that. Neutra in the gas, sure, certainly can't hurt & seems to help my mower. Neutra in the oil? Personally, I'd reserve that for a brief run(3 hrs or less) just before changing the oil.

Fore some of my experiences last summer: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000004

[ March 05, 2003, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

10W-40 or 15W-40 might be good since this is for commercial use and will see prolonged use/higher temps than a home mower. I run 10W-30 in mine but run it about 30minutes once a week or two during mowing season.

Neutra is probably a good idea. How about a little in the fuel early in the season to clean things up after winter and a little in the oil in the fall just before draining the oil.

I recommend running the viscosity that the manufacture states. I know some of the honda engines will take the 10w30, but what ever it calls for, I'd go with that. Only consider changing viscosity if you're having problems of some sort with the recommended oil. As for Schaeffers, their blends will work fine for your applications.

131 neutra,... yes, just use 1 to 2ounces in the oil approx 2-4 hours before oil change, then replace oil while hot.

Also, neutra is a fuel stabilizer amoung other things. Most of my lawn guys will take the neutra and put it into all their gal jugs they use to fuel up their equipment with. This keeps the equipment carbs working good without fuel going bad and when it does sit up, they don't end up with carb repairs. The also use this in the two cycle oil fuel mix as well as so do I. I haven't had to rebuild a carb yet, also, never have taken the screen out of any two cycle engine yet so to clean the carbon out.

bigspoke, sounds like the motor will accept just about any common weight of oil ... temperature allowing. I assume they've given you a temperature range chart and recommended grades for each temp/range?

I'd bet a 15W40 would be the best all-around oil. These also tend to have robust additive packages ... another plus.
smile.gif

I use (regular) Neutra as a preventative. I see no difference in performance, etc ... but then again, that's the point of a preventative. Hope to try the soy 131C version this year.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back