Schaeffer's 9000 5W30, 10,019, 2006 Toyota Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOHN: Your Avalon's engine still looks great in analysis. Actually, considering the low wear readings here,
paired with the longer-than-usual oil change, we really like how this sample looks. Silicon is still high, but it
seems to be on the way down, so we're not too concerned about it. The viscosity measured a shade light,
but that's not hurting anything. It might just be that some residual oil of a lighter viscosity was lingering in
your engine when you changed the oil. No other contamination or problems were found here. Nice engine.

Code:

Oil Schaeffer's 9000 5W30

Miles in Use 10,019

Miles 82,414

Sample Taken 11/08/11

Aluminum 3

Chromium 0

Iron 11

Copper 5

Lead 1

Tin 4

Molybdenum 283

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 1

Boron 11

Silicon 28

Sodium 11

Calcium 1923

Magnesium 21

Phosphorus 646

Zinc 705

Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @210ºF 55.2

cSt Viscosity @100ºC 8.84

Flashpoint in ºF 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

Last edited:
Wow. I'd love to see 11 Iron after 10,000 miles.

Nice indeed. Once again, it seems with the proper oil changes, the engine is the least of our worries when it comes to potential car troubles (I'll knock on wood for saying that in case I curse my cars).

Schaeffer makes very good products, including their engine oil, I just wish it was more readily available. I'm sure Mark has heard that a thousand times by now..

So, what is the source of silicon? Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be causing any excessive wear. Is silicon part of the Shaeffer's formulation?

I appreciate the favorable comments but I need to add some additional information. About 5K mi of this OCI was on a trip we took thru several western states over a 10-11 day period in July. Most was with the cruise set on 75 thru some desolate country.

Our other driving is a 50/50 mix of city/hwy driving. Being retired we don't run up lot of miles commuting to work, etc.
John
W.TN

Originally Posted By: Alamogunr
About 5K mi of this OCI was on a trip we took thru several western states over a 10-11 day period in July. Most was with the cruise set on 75 thru some desolate country.

Was it through the salt flats of Utah/Nevada?
smile.gif

If so, that would explain the silicon, but again, the high silicon does not translate into higher wear in your case, so it's probably not related to dirt ingestion...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Was it through the salt flats of Utah/Nevada?
smile.gif

If so, that would explain the silicon, but again, the high silicon does not translate into higher wear in your case, so it's probably not related to dirt ingestion...

No. It was mostly Texas, New Mexico and Colorado. All these states were dry as a bone. Felt sorry for them. Trees dying, grass gone, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back