Schaeffer's #132 Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Does this stuff affect the viscosity of your oil?

I did a search on this a while back. It does increase the viscosity of the oil. VOA showed that it had moly but not as much as one would think. IIRC the thought was that there is more to just moly that makes this a good additive.

Plan to use this with LC after ARX clean (MolaBrew Oil) 1 oz per quart.

Well the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment VOA on this site (Butler Cat Labs) showed 2400 ppm moly and a lot of other goodies. We need to do a side by side comparison with the Schaeffer's 132 VOA.

Edit, here is a thread comparing the two. Except I think there was a typo in the moly report for Synpower, because the most recent Synpower Oil Treatment UOA shows about 10 times as much moly.

[ June 14, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

I just snagged this image from BypassFilter's post in A Thread on the Car & Truck Engine forum.

-

We don't see many Schaeffer's #132 threads lately, who's still using this multi-functional product?

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
It has been stated in the past that there are thing in the 132 that may not show up on a UOA.

Yes, it is discussed in the first link I posted.

It seems to me that the same situation occurs with Rislone Engine Treatment: the VOA looks poor, but the company claims there are things in it that don't show up in a UOA. But in either case, until somebody identifies those unknowns, I think I will stick with the Synpower and its healthy additive package, especially when the Schaeffer's is labeled a "Moly EP" treatment, but shows only 23 ppm moly. That would hardly make a difference moly-wise.

But I thought Schaeffer's had a different moly additive (Micron Moly maybe?) that has much higher moly content.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
This might be the solution for the new zddp anemiec SM oils.

Does this stuff affect the viscosity of your oil?

Exactly what I had in mind, TallPaul!

I'm looking for a product with additional ZDDP and AW adds that does not skyrocket the viscosity of the existing oil.

Would be interesting to look at a VOA, #132 appears to rely on organic style friction modifiers that won't show up in analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
I'm looking for a product with additional ZDDP and AW adds that does not skyrocket the viscosity of the existing oil.

Would be interesting to look at a VOA, #132 appears to rely on organic style friction modifiers that won't show up in analysis.

1) Well there's always GM's EOS supplement with 6000 ppm zddp!
shocked.gif

2) So that is the story. The type of moly does not show up in the standard VOA. So it might be pretty good stuff. I would think that Schaeffers does not put out any snake oil, so the low numbers in the VOA post were puzzling.

I’d add about 50 ml / quart of M1 (regular stuff) to prop it up). I’ll have a 5000 mile UOA in my Volvo soon to see how it does. It worked very well with Amsoil ATM last time I did it.

D

John, what treat rate are you using & is #132 syrupy thick?

Yes, I believe that Molakule mentioned at one time that #132 has antimony and it doesn't show up in UOA/VOA.

Does anybody know how much moly actually is in the Schaeffer Moly EP Oil Treatment?

And how does it compare to all the goodies in Synpower Oil Treatment?

Synpower Oil Treatment (per Butler Cat Lab analysis):
quote:

Moly: 2324
Boron: 1046
Calcium: 1050
Magnesium: 968
Phosphorus: 1792
Zinc: 1740

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
John, what treat rate are you using & is #132 syrupy thick?

I use 4-5 oz (basically 1 oz per quart) in my Honda Odyssey. It is a thick light blue syrup that pours very slowly. With this stuff, less is better.

quote:

... in Mobil 1 since its additive package is lacking ...

So this Mobil 1 stuff is not the Holy Grail that some folks make it out to be.

A shame that $4.50 a quart oil needs additive souping. Maxlife Synthetic 10w30 dosen't need any additive boost and is thicker too (11.5 cSt).

TP,

I believe that the Schaeffer's 7000 Blend has the best additive package of any oil on the market; Mobil 1 probaly has the cleanest basestock of the mass market synthetics and is far from the holy grail. Since I have some #132 on hand, I will use it with Mobil 1 and after that go to Schaeffer's Blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back