Schaeffer Oil Seq. IIIG Results ALL the same? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any insights out there on this: ...From a technical standpoint, is it possible that ALL these Schaeffer oils have precisely the same Sequence IIIG cam wear results and viscosity increases? Supreme 9000 full-syns: 0w-20, 5w-20, & 5w-30 AND Supreme 7000 semi-syns: 5w-30 & 10w-30 ... Thats 5 different oil blends, all having the same test results?

Wouldn't the different basestock blending and viscosities result in at least small differences? How does one verify their tech data sheet accuracy?

(I may send these results into https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising and maybe NAD too.) Schaeffer customer service will probably just grimace and do nothing to prove it.

Here is the 9000 5w-30:

Schaeffer5w-30_zpstmgwg6dl.jpg

Here is the 9000 0w-20 (Note I omit the 5w-20, but its claiming the same too!):

Schaeffer0w20_zpsmepg7toe.jpg

Here are the 7000 5w-30 and 10w-30 results side by side:

Schaeffer7000_zpskqbsol70.jpg

Full tech data sheets if you want to read them:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/247-9003D-td.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/278-9005-td.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/701703-Logo.pdf
http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/254-9004-td.pdf

Last edited:
Kendall GT-1 5w-20 (not sure semi-syn of their full-syn version) was claiming a 23 micron Seq IIG wear result compared to Schaeffer oil's (ALL products evidently) claiming about 10 microns, so maybe in the realm of possibility, a little too good to be true.

Kendall's claim of 23 microns:

Kendall_zpsxzx1pb44.jpg

Quote:
Schaeffer customer service will probably just grimace and do nothing to prove it.

You are making an assumption.

They did say "average."

Maybe a cut and past error?

I would ask Schaeffer Oil first before making a Federal case of it.

Last edited:
MolaKule, I was looking for a reasonable explanation here first, just to warm up. Soon, I might call them. Don't know if I want to bother. Is it too weird or not that the results are precisely the same?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

They did say "average."

Hey, you should know that the Seq IIIG is an average over all the cam lobes. Thats the definition of average here, not average over several runs.

They did say "average."

Yes, most likely an average of several different runs they use for a "typical" value on every tds.

I don't believe the "average", either over runs or over the cam lobes on one run, could possibly all converge to the exact same 9.8 microns with also the exact same 130% viscosity across 5 grades/types of Schaeffer oil.

I kind of expect someone to say something like "I can target blend any oil from 0w-20 to 5w-30, five kinds, full syns and part syns, and all will hit their target of exactly 9.8 and 130% visc change." I mean, if thats Schaeffer's goal, and then let the blend "chips fall where they may" with the other test results. Almost reasonable, yet I need more evidence.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
(I may send these results into https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/truth-advertising and maybe NAD too.) Schaeffer customer service will probably just grimace and do nothing to prove it.

Since the data they are sharing is voluntary and not required I don't see the point. What is the FTC going to do? Bust them on a copy and paste error?

They've had that copy and paste error for years. Also, I'd certainly hope that any product claims are actually true. I have a thing for 'truth' I guess. Either claim the truth, or don't claim.

They did say "average."

Hey, you should know that the Seq IIIG is an average over all the cam lobes. Thats the definition of average here, not average over several runs.

Thank you for that information about "average."

I said nothing about, "average over several runs," you did.

Quote:
I kind of expect someone to say something like "I can target blend any oil from 0w-20 to 5w-30, five kinds, full syns and part syns, and all will hit their target of exactly 9.8 and 130% visc change." I mean, if thats Schaeffer's goal, and then let the blend "chips fall where they may" with the other test results. Almost reasonable, yet I need more evidence.

You have some interesting and divergent expectations.

Last edited:
Then don't buy the stuff. Plain and simple. If no one brings it to their attention that there is an error then they have no reason to change it. I don't think the people who put together the sheets are sitting around with nothing to do other than proof read sheets they already did. And maybe the moons aligned and the values are truly correct! Do you have any evidence that they are wrong other than coincidence that they are all the same?

Can I expect more from you? Something substantive perhaps? Are you a tribologist or not?
You've had great contributions in the past.

Can I expect more from you? Something substantive perhaps? Are you a tribologist or not?

Are you really an engineer or are you simply trying to sustain an inane argument?

Contact Schaeffer Oil and ask them. A very simple task without all the drama.

Last edited:

Are you really an engineer or are you trying to sustain an inane argument?

Mola's got his panties in a bunch!

Try to answer this one part then:

Wouldn't the different basestock blending and viscosities result in at least small differences?

Are you really an engineer or are you simply trying to sustain an inane argument?

Contact Schaeffer Oil and ask them. A very simple task without all the drama.

Thank you Crawfish but I don't need your approval to post.

Maybe double down on the coffee?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Sure anybody, including you evidently, MolaKule, can post crud. Thats easy. The hard part is discussing or answering.

It appears your panties are in the bunch here. IMO this whole post is premature. Why wouldn't you call their customer service before soliciting opinions on bitog?

Not everything is a great conspiracy.
This is not required information. Its voluntarily supplied information. A copy paste error as suggested is very possible.

No I don't think they are all identical.

Next up please go beat on the dead horse of castrol just reporting the min required stats(to meet grade) instead of their actual product stats

Disparaging a well known company such as Schaeffer Oil without even calling them sounds like you are just looking to pick a fight and don't care what anyone says.

Perhaps you could even EMAIL them and get a decent response instead of asking some min wage phone person technical questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back