Schaeffer 9000 5W30, 9710 mi, 2006 Toyota Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to figure out how to post the actual report so I'm just typing it in. I forgot to mention to Blackstone that I used 1/2 qt of Pennzoil YB to make up the full 6.5 qts.

Comments: We recommend taking a sample in mid-stream, because if you wait until the end, you might run out of oil(I had forgotten to have the sample bottle handy, so the sample came from the last of the drain). But we had plenty so the sampling technique was fine. All wear looks about the same in this sample, which is great considering you ran this oil more miles than the last. The only thing that was out of line was silicon. Silicon can have several sources in an engine, though we don't think it's dirt in your case because wear looks so good. It's probably from a sealer or lube. No moisture or fuel was present in this sample, and the air and oil filters are working.

Mi on oil: 9710
Mi on unit: 62805
Sample Date: 08/23/2010
Make Up Oil Added: 0

Aluminum: 3
Chromium: 0
Iron: 16
Copper: 4
Lead: 0
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 294
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 1
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 14
Silicon: 34
Sodium: 15
Calcium: 1914
Magnesium: 18
Phosphorus: 604
Zinc: 691
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity@210ºF: 53.2
cST Viscosity@100ºC: 8.24
Flashpoint in ºF: 390
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0
Water %: 0
Insolubles %: 0.3

I will be using this oil(Schaeffer's) for 2 more changes, approx 20K mi. Any comments on whether I should buy more of the same or save some $$ on another oil, would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice report!
thumbsup2.gif

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. If you want, go ahead and keep using it, looks great! If you want to save a little money and get a cheaper (Cost less) oil, I'd recommend PP or QS UD

The Schaeffers is great oil, no doubt, and a good value if you can get for approx $6/qt or therabouts. In addition to what Nick has recommended, the Pennzoil Ultra or PU is a very good oil and at $25 for a 5 qt container at some WM's, a good value as well.

I was not aware that this engine was "tough on oil". Sounds like I need to be prepared to order more Schaeffer's. I don't remember the cost but I know it was more than $6/qt delivered. IRIC, I also had to pay sales tax which in TN is almost 10%, but I would also have to pay that at WM. That still leaves me paying less per OC than if I changed at 3-5K.

We(my wife and I)are not hard on cars. We seem to be averaging about 15K mi per year on this car which we purchased right after I retired. I expect we will keep it at least 10 years unless something happens that causes her to lose confidence in it.

Looks great, I'd stick with the Schaeffer's oil. I get this oil for exactly $6.00/qt out the door, which makes it a good value for me.

Nice run. You could try M1 EP. 5 quarts of EP and an M1 filter for $38 at AZ. They run the promo 3 or 4 times per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back