Say it ain't so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read an oil filter guy's website and he said that the Motorcraft FL-1A is no longer a Pure One in disguise. He said it's just an average filter nowadays.

It's an average filter that will also be assured to meet 100% of the Ford OEM performance spec's where it is the recommended replacement filter .... and (probably) exceed the assembly line material specs.

I thought it was always just a PurePremium? And the site that was claiming it was some sort of PureONE/PurePremium hybrid was testing the FL-1A, perhaps different variations of Ford's filters are built to different specs?

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Motorcraft Long Lasting FL-1A
This is an interesting filter. Basically, it is a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case. Don't be fooled by the differently shaped holes cut into the oil inlet. This is the only difference.

This is a good filter design and if you want to get a Purolator Pure One filter, get this one instead: it is cheaper.

Like the Purolator Pure One, this filter cartridge features a very large element surface area (400 sqin), but with many pleats (64). This packs the filter together rather tightly and may restrict flow somewhat. I could identify the Pure One element media by a purple dye they use at the seam. It also has the mysterious assembly string wrapped around the outside of the element.

Like the Purolators, it features a spring-loaded metal bypass valve and a nitrile rubber diaphram-type anti-drainback valve. The bypass valve is stamped right into the bottom end cap of the cartridge, so it is all one piece.

Cartridge Length 4.125 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.250 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.625 inches
Cartridge Pleats 64
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped-steel, with bypass valve
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel
Element Type Paper media, stamped metal seam
Element Length 100.0 inches
Element Width 4.000 inches
Element Surface Area 400 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.011 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.120 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Motorcraft Long Lasting FL-1A
This is an interesting filter. Basically, it is a Purolator Pure One filter cartridge in a Purolator Premium Plus case. Don't be fooled by the differently shaped holes cut into the oil inlet. This is the only difference.

This is a good filter design and if you want to get a Purolator Pure One filter, get this one instead: it is cheaper.

Like the Purolator Pure One, this filter cartridge features a very large element surface area (400 sqin), but with many pleats (64). This packs the filter together rather tightly and may restrict flow somewhat. I could identify the Pure One element media by a purple dye they use at the seam. It also has the mysterious assembly string wrapped around the outside of the element.

Like the Purolators, it features a spring-loaded metal bypass valve and a nitrile rubber diaphram-type anti-drainback valve. The bypass valve is stamped right into the bottom end cap of the cartridge, so it is all one piece.

Cartridge Length 4.125 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.250 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.625 inches
Cartridge Pleats 64
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped-steel, with bypass valve
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel
Element Type Paper media, stamped metal seam
Element Length 100.0 inches
Element Width 4.000 inches
Element Surface Area 400 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.011 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.120 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

Yep, that's the FL-1A. So I guess my question is that is THIS the filter that the OP is talking about being changed? Because I recall this being the filter with the claim of having the PureONE media in it.

The guy doing the filter tests says it is PureOne media

"Like the Purolator Pure One, this filter cartridge features a very large element surface area (400 sqin), but with many pleats (64). This packs the filter together rather tightly and may restrict flow somewhat"

I could identify the Pure One element media by a purple dye they use at the seam"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back