Saw a unicorn in the way to work today.....

Believe it or not I came across an accident scene in the last hour.

A friggin DeLorean was crashed into a light pole. Must've been stolen. I wish the police presence wasn't so thick or i would've gotten some pics.

Unbelievable!!
It was probably Tesla crash testing The Cybertruck in real world environments lol.

I’m sorry to hear that any unique older car has crashed, but looking back 25 years after being active in the DeLorean community, I can finally ask myself “why” I was. It was a mediocre vehicle and an underwhelming driving experience, yet it seemed everywhere I turned someone was an obsessive owner.

For some reason they are a big thing in Massachusetts. Last time I sat down and thought about it, perhaps 2005 or so, within about a two mile radius of where my parents last lived (let’s say the corner of Salisbury and Moreland Streets in Worcester, MA) there were five DeLoreans that I knew of that were registered, insured, and driven regularly.

There was a woman closer to Boston who had what I think I recall was one of one or two factory authorized prototype twin turbo setups. Same stock PRV V6, but with a very sleek-looking turbocharger. Looked absolutely perfect but made the already-crowded engine bay even more cramped. I didn’t get to drive it.

Relatives had them growing up, I helped restore two of them in the 90s— low mileage examples that were neglected for years. We had a family friend who had been a corporate mechanic back in the day and taught me a ton of weird little tidbits of knowledge. An acquaintance’s father (George Broomfield) was one of the company executives and had a car he claimed was “one of the first ones off the boat” and even he admitted that the company was still a far way from perfecting the car at the time they folded.

There is a DeLorean that lives near me, I've passed it a few times on our streets. I'm sure it was one of the TWO I saw at the Stan Hywet car show one year.

I’m sorry to hear that any unique older car has crashed, but looking back 25 years after being active in the DeLorean community, I can finally ask myself “why” I was. It was a mediocre vehicle and an underwhelming driving experience, yet it seemed everywhere I turned someone was an obsessive owner.
Lots of people have curious hobbies.

Back