Savage 10BA in .338 Lapua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
That's the whitest sand I've ever seen.

LOL! Yeah, we still have some snow (though in town it has mostly cleared up).

I'm looking forward to summer shooting where I can actually shoot from prone
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I like that Savage! I've been interested in a .338LM for a while but haven't (parden the pun) pulled the trigger on one. I'm envious OK!

I shoot a .50BMG which has it's own cool factor but I actually think I would prefer the .338. The .50 is much tougher on my backstop too so the benefits on owning the .338 far outweigh a .50.

Congrats in advance on your new purchase!

Thanks!

Yeah, I think we talked about your .50BMG before correct? That's the last rifle on my "list", a Barrett M99 (can't get the M82A1 up here).

I really like the Lapua though (and it is cheaper to shoot, about $3.20/round for this Czech JHP "match" ammo the local place sells) and the brake works well; it doesn't kick much harder than my .308. I could shoot it all day if the ammo cost wasn't there, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I like that Savage! I've been interested in a .338LM for a while but haven't (parden the pun) pulled the trigger on one. I'm envious OK!

I shoot a .50BMG which has it's own cool factor but I actually think I would prefer the .338. The .50 is much tougher on my backstop too so the benefits on owning the .338 far outweigh a .50.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think we talked about your .50BMG before correct? That's the last rifle on my "list", a Barrett M99 (can't get the M82A1 up here).

I really like the Lapua though (and it is cheaper to shoot, about $3.20/round for this Czech JHP "match" ammo the local place sells) and the brake works well; it doesn't kick much harder than my .308. I could shoot it all day if the ammo cost wasn't there, LOL!
grin.gif

If you do pull the trigger on that bad boy, you my friend have to start reloading your ammo. That is a nice weapon but will eat you out of house and home if you don't feed it re-loads.

I have couple of 30-338 Lapuas, and they can get expensive to shoot, real fast.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Thanks!

grin.gif

You my friend have to start reloading your ammo.

As I had mentioned early in the thread, another member is helping me out (can't thank him enough BTW) in that respect, so I should be able to do that shortly
thumbsup2.gif

The dies (Hornady) are only around $30.00 at the local shop, and I have a bit of brass now (will need more for this gun, I have a few hundred rounds for the .308) so I am looking forward to being able to do just that
smile.gif

My bad I see you pulled the trigger! Nice! I remember buying 338 Lapua Brass a few years back for well under $1 each. I should have invested my entire retirement portfolio in 338 Lapua Brass, I'd be living large now!

My bad I see you pulled the trigger! Nice! I remember buying 338 Lapua Brass a few years back for well under $1 each. I should have invested my entire retirement portfolio in 338 Lapua Brass, I'd be living large now!

HAHAHAHHA! The only thing about this gun is the WEIGHT, it is significantly heavier than anything else I own. Though Savage lists it as 15.75lbs, it feels heavier than that
21.gif

I am truly jealous!

My .50 is the L.A.R. Big Boar (not mis-spelled).

Luckily you reload since the big bores can get expensive but as we both know, reloading is a hobby by itself. I load for the fifty and can keep rounds around $2.30 depending on the projectile...I could probably do it even cheaper but I don't load in great volume.

Enjoy your new rifle....they are beautiful!

HAHAHAHHA! The only thing about this gun is the WEIGHT, it is significantly heavier than anything else I own. Though Savage lists it as 15.75lbs, it feels heavier than that
21.gif

My 30-338 probably weighs about 25+ lbs. with the 32" barrel and muzzle brake. I shoot it off a bi-pod or bench rest only. It is not a rifle built for carrying around. LOL

I am truly jealous!

My .50 is the L.A.R. Big Boar (not mis-spelled).

Luckily you reload since the big bores can get expensive but as we both know, reloading is a hobby by itself. I load for the fifty and can keep rounds around $2.30 depending on the projectile...I could probably do it even cheaper but I don't load in great volume.

Enjoy your new rifle....they are beautiful!

So you have this guy:

411546496.jpg

?

Looks pretty reasonably priced!! I spent like 3K on the Savage after accessories, taxes, scope....etc.

The Barrett is ~$4500 (for the M99). I originally wanted a McMillan TAC-50 (that's what Rob Furlong used in his famous shot) but the price just wasn't palatable. I know the US Military uses the M82A1 and the M99 and they have the reputation of being excellent guns.

Near target (both of us were sighting in our scopes today) is 50 yards. Far target is 100 yards.

lapua02.jpg

Not to rain on the party, but I hope nobody is roaming around in the woods behind those targets. Just sayin', looks like lead could be spraying the woods behind. A safe backstop is one of the main rules of shooting. Preventable gun accidents happen all the time.

Yep....that's the LAR (mine is the grey finish). Very reasonably priced for what it will do and fits in my safe nicely. I can't post pictures since I only have my cell for internet at home and my work pc could present a problem.

I like the Barrett a lot and it's a lot of rifle for the money....just like the Savage. When I purchased my .50, I only had a choice of two....Barrett and Armalite weren't around.

I am really considering a .338LM to add to our collection and your thread gets that itch to scratching again. Your buddy already loads for it?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Near target (both of us were sighting in our scopes today) is 50 yards. Far target is 100 yards.

lapua02.jpg

Not to rain on the party, but I hope nobody is roaming around in the woods behind those targets. Just sayin', looks like lead could be spraying the woods behind. A safe backstop is one of the main rules of shooting. Preventable gun accidents happen all the time.

My buddy's dad owns the woods, and the field that is behind those woods. There's a rise in the forest that works as a backstop (we've done plenty of walks back into the woods to see where things land, things go about 50ft into the woods before they run into the ground) so about the only thing that might catch the dead would be an animal.

Behind what you see is another field. And behind that, another rise and then a few thousand acres of forest.

Yep....that's the LAR (mine is the grey finish). Very reasonably priced for what it will do and fits in my safe nicely. I can't post pictures since I only have my cell for internet at home and my work pc could present a problem.

I like the Barrett a lot and it's a lot of rifle for the money....just like the Savage. When I purchased my .50, I only had a choice of two....Barrett and Armalite weren't around.

I am really considering a .338LM to add to our collection and your thread gets that itch to scratching again. Your buddy already loads for it?

Nope, we are both going to start reloading soon though, we've got lots of brass and the local shop caries everything we need
smile.gif

Be forewarned.....reloading is addictive and you can't stop at just one. No doubt you'll be able to make your .270 sing too with some handloads!

Good luck and enjoy!

Be forewarned.....reloading is addictive and you can't stop at just one. No doubt you'll be able to make your .270 sing too with some handloads!

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks!

cheers3.gif

Good luck and enjoy!

It is, you have me wanting to start loading for my 6mmbr, and 6.5x284 win. It's been a while since I loaded for them.

Slight update:

I was having issues with the bolt sticking on some of the rounds. Seemed to be a relatively common issue after searching Google, some said the headspace needed adjustment, others said the chamber needed to be polished. Guys sending their guns back to Savage were losing them for 5 weeks
crazy2.gif
but at least they worked perfectly when they got them back.

Savage Canada, when dealing with warranty, isn't the same as the USA. You don't ship the gun to Savage, they have service centres in a few different provinces, the closest being a couple hours away.

Took the gun into where I bought it and told the gunsmith there about the issue. He immediately knew exactly what I was talking about and said it is the chamber isn't smooth enough, a common issue with this cartridge, and he has a special rig setup to deal with it. Gun will be back in my hands tomorrow, no need to send it away for service/warranty.

While I was there I picked up a case (100rds) of ammo for it. Hope to get out with it again this weekend
smile.gif

Got it back, gunsmith said it had a ridge in the chamber causing the issue. It is smooth as a baby's bottom now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back