Saturn SL2 Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because of the oil carbonizing in the ring grooves of the SL2, I thought I would be wise to stick with synthetic oils because of their higher temperature capability.

I see from the Corvair Article that Widman brings up some good points about CI-4 Diesel oils for flat tappet engines. Although the SL2 does not need to be concerned with protecting its flat tappets, it can probably benefit from the higher detergency and wear protection of the Diesel oils.

Originally Posted By: "Richard Widman"
If you have been using a low quality oil and move up to a CH-4/SL or CI-4/SL with 3000 ppm to 3200 ppm of detergent, don’t be surprised if it smokes a little for the first 3000 miles or so. It will clean up some of the deposits in the ring grooves and pistons, improving the cooling and ring movement. Once that has burned up the smoking will stop.

Since diesel oils aren't available in a 5W-30 viscosity, would a 5W-40 synthetic be too viscous in this application?

If not, are there any good choices in 5W-40 synthetic diesel oils for the 1.9L engine?

Are there any 5W-30 synthetic gasoline engine oils that have diesel oil-like detergency and anti-wear additives?

I see that Esso XD-3 Extra is available in both 0W-30 and 0W-40 viscosities: Esso XD-3 Extra Product Data Sheet.

The Saturn Dealer was originally using a PetroCanada bulk 5W-30, which I would expect to be PetroCanada Supreme. Comparing the two, it looks like the Esso 0W-30 is a thicker oil at 100°C (12.2 cSt vs 10.5) and at 40°C (69 vs 61.8). The 0W-30 has a higher Viscosity Index too (176 vs 160). However the 0W-30's pour point is a bit lower (-48°C vs -42). The only major consideration I can see with using a the 0W-30 is that it doesn't have an API Starburst symbol. However, as a PAO oil, it seems to reasonably priced and readily available (at least here in Canada).

Other that the potential for slightly better fuel economy with a Starburst 0W-30, is there any reason that the Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 would not be a suitable engine oil for a Saturn SL2?

Would there be much of a risk of O2 sensor fouling with the use of this HDEO?

Do you have to endure an emissions inspection? It is the catalytic convertor that you really have to worry about fouling. The less oil you burn, the better off you are in that regard.

As far as fuel economy, the starburst seal requires temporary shear to a thin 30 weight; oils can be very good if not better without the seal. Starburst is not required for your car, simply recommended: They only require current API Sx grade... SJ, SL, SM or so.

Yes. All cars in Ontario need a Drive Clean Inspection every 2 years.

At this time, both Saturns are using about 1 litre / 10,000 km. With the anti-wear additives of a diesel oil and the resistance to coking of a PAO oil, I was hoping to maintain this low oil consumption. Since Esso XD-3 Extra is rated SM in addition to CJ-4, I was hoping that such fouling would be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back