San Francisco Fleet Week 2022

Nice crowd where I am at the San Francisco Maritime NHP. They actually have the event audio pumping from speakers at the Maritime Museum.

Last edited:
They went ahead with the 777 demo, even with the fog.

C2FA3B97-1702-4E15-A949-066F8934A647.jpeg

My Wi-Fi connection was spotty so the post I worked on my iPad is still there. But then went on with an abbreviated show. No knife edge passes or high AOA slow speed passes. They did have a helicopter following them around for a documentary. The announcer said the pilot had worked on Top Gun:Maverick and was filming them for a documentary. They were clearly shooting scenes just for the cameras. Overall disappointed, but the weather is actually worse now,

Here’s the flight.

I thought they were issued a hold when I first watched the flight playback on Flightaware. However, if you watch the 'hold' at 50x speed, the entry was strange and they changed the position of the hold twice, also they did a couple 360° turns. My guess is they were given a block of airspace that was theirs and they were playing around with the computer.

I thought they were issued a hold when I first watched the flight playback on Flightaware. However, if you watch the 'hold' at 50x speed, the entry was strange and they changed the position of the hold twice, also they did a couple 360° turns. My guess is they were given a block of airspace that was theirs and they were playing around with the computer.

The schedule included two United demos, near the beginning and just before the Blue Angels. Patriots Jet Team scrubbed their performance. So did the T-33 team, Coast Guard, Navy parachute team, C-17, and P-3/P-8. The Coast Guard C-27 did make a few high passes, ostensibly to provide weather evaluations. The show announcer was patched in the the pilot, although that got scratchy.

This was Friday:

And Saturday:

Can anyone comment on why they never went over 3000 ft other than climbing to about 5000 ft before landing?

I couldn't make it this year. I like watching either from Fort Point or from Angel Island. Crissy Field and the whole waterfront is a mess in terms of crowd. Maybe it was better this year?

I couldn't make it this year. I like watching either from Fort Point or from Angel Island. Crissy Field and the whole waterfront is a mess in terms of crowd. Maybe it was better this year?

I wouldn’t go to Crissy Field for it. However, the new Tunnel Tops Park is a pretty good spot.

rawImage.jpg

Where I was it wasn’t too crowded. The whole seating area was packed, but I brought a camp chair while a lot of people sat on the lawn or benches. The National Park Service did close the parking lot at San Francisco Maritime NHP, but there was still city operated parking in front to the Maritime Museum. But that concrete amphitheater type seating was packed. The most annoying thing was all the tourists riding their rental bikes on the path.

museum_waterside.jpg

Back