Safety violation does not end well, towing a camper

Do all Airstream trailer doors open into the wind? If so, that's asking for trouble on so many levels, including lawsuits.

But as the above posts state, people have a responsibility NOT to do stupid stuff. If the door is configured that way, take notice, it is YOUR responsibility to use the door properly.

2021-airstream-accessories-101-1620845203.jpg
Some of the longer units have both ways

While I agree, having spent 25 years building and fixing equipment in factories -where safety is trained and preached daily - I can assure you that at some point in time someone will forget or do the wrong thing.
Ayup. We strive for zero defects and accidents but we know we're never going to be 0 so we get as close statistically as we can. There will always be a Private Pyle.

I work with highly intelligent people every day. College professors and researchers at the top of their field. Many of them are extremely smart and knowledgeable in certain topics, but lack any common sense.
I can attest to that. I worked for a hotel for seven years and we regularly had guest physicists give lectures at the local university. One professional in particular had a few books published and was a well respected physicist. He called down to the front desk and couldn't figure out how to get his Keurig to brew coffee.

For those that missed it, many states allow passengers inside a 5th wheel or travel trailer while moving. Crazy in my mind.

State5th WheelTravel TrailerTruck Camper
AlabamaNoNoYes
AlaskaNoNoYes
ArizonaYesYesYes
ArkansasNoNoNo
CaliforniaYes*NoYes*
ColoradoNoNoYes
ConnecticutNoNoYes
DelawareNoNoYes
FloridaNoNoYes
GeorgiaNoNoYes
HawaiiNoNoYes (over 13)
IdahoNoNoYes
IllinoisNoNoYes
IndianaYesYesYes
IowaYesYesYes
KansasYes (over 14)Yes (over 14)Yes (over 14)
KentuckyNoNoYes
LouisianaNoNoYes
MaineNoNoNo
MarylandYesYesYes
MassachusettsNoNoYes
MichiganYesYesYes
MinnesotaYesYesYes
MississippiYesYesYes
MissouriYesYesYes
MontanaYesNoYes
NebraskaYesYesYes
NevadaNoNoYes
New HampshireNoNoNo
New JerseyYesNoYes
New MexicoNoNoYes
New YorkYesNoYes
North CarolinaYesYesYes
North DakotaYesNoYes
OhioNoNoYes
OklahomaNoNoYes
OregonYes*NoYes
PennsylvaniaYes*NoNo
Rhode IslandNoNoYes
South CarolinaYes*NoNo
South DakotaYes*NoYes
TennesseeYesNoYes
TexasNoNoYes
UtahNoNoYes
VermontNoNoYes
VirginiaNoNoYes
WashingtonNoNoYes
West VirginiaYesNoYes
WisconsinYes*NoNo
WyomingNoNoYes

• Communications are required between the driver and any passengers traveling in the camper.

For those that missed it, many states allow passengers inside a 5th wheel or travel trailer while moving. Crazy in my mind.
Realistically, what is the risk? What are the chances of the trailer separating from the tow vehicle when safety chains are used? How many people a year actually die from such an event? I'd say it's less than people riding motorcycles without helmets dying in crashes. And how many states allow that as well?

Realistically, what is the risk? What are the chances of the trailer separating from the tow vehicle when safety chains are used? How many people a year actually die from such an event? I'd say it's less than people riding motorcycles without helmets dying in crashes. And how many states allow that as well?
Apparently dying is a risk.

/slap

State5th WheelTravel TrailerTruck Camper
AlabamaNoNoYes
AlaskaNoNoYes
ArizonaYesYesYes
ArkansasNoNoNo
CaliforniaYes*NoYes*
ColoradoNoNoYes
ConnecticutNoNoYes
DelawareNoNoYes
FloridaNoNoYes
GeorgiaNoNoYes
HawaiiNoNoYes (over 13)
IdahoNoNoYes
IllinoisNoNoYes
IndianaYesYesYes
IowaYesYesYes
KansasYes (over 14)Yes (over 14)Yes (over 14)
KentuckyNoNoYes
LouisianaNoNoYes
MaineNoNoNo
MarylandYesYesYes
MassachusettsNoNoYes
MichiganYesYesYes
MinnesotaYesYesYes
MississippiYesYesYes
MissouriYesYesYes
MontanaYesNoYes
NebraskaYesYesYes
NevadaNoNoYes
New HampshireNoNoNo
New JerseyYesNoYes
New MexicoNoNoYes
New YorkYesNoYes
North CarolinaYesYesYes
North DakotaYesNoYes
OhioNoNoYes
OklahomaNoNoYes
OregonYes*NoYes
PennsylvaniaYes*NoNo
Rhode IslandNoNoYes
South CarolinaYes*NoNo
South DakotaYes*NoYes
TennesseeYesNoYes
TexasNoNoYes
UtahNoNoYes
VermontNoNoYes
VirginiaNoNoYes
WashingtonNoNoYes
West VirginiaYesNoYes
WisconsinYes*NoNo
WyomingNoNoYes

• Communications are required between the driver and any passengers traveling in the camper.
This is funny - in South Carolina you can ride in the back of an open pickup if your over 15, but apparently not in a trailer of pickup camper. That shows you how dangerous that is. I mean if its illegal here, it must be bad.

I guess the entitled safety nannies will now be coming forth to complain about trailer door design and the prices will go up on trailers because of lack of common sense and stupidity and their inability to read and comprehend the manual that says no people inside while moving!!!

Last edited:
I think some here are being a little hard on the victim(s). I 100% agree I'd never ride in one, nor attempt to close a door "mid flight" but I think we've all done things that others might find stupid or unwise. I bet when we're fighting for life in the emergency room we're not stopping them and asking "hey doc, ever ride untethered in the back of a trailer"?

I also think there can be "multiple wrongs" in these types of accidents and the door should probably open the other way. I would not ever support a lawsuit for this type of thing but hopefully Airstream fixes it anyway.

This was a very ugly event regardless of fault. It is a shame that she died on what should have been a joyful family trip.
I didn't know that so many states actually allow people to ride in a trailer under tow. Simple caution would seem to preclude this in any event. Had the woman been riding in the tow vehicle the door might have banged open but nobody would have been hurt.
Agree that having the door open into the relative wind seems like a bad design, but the decision of the driver and those riding in the trailer to do so made for a lethal event.

Chances are Airstream will have engage lawyers to fight with the lady's family. I smell some sort of settlement eventually happening.

Used to love to ride in the truck camper when we took trips when I was a kid.

This is funny - in South Carolina you can ride in the back of an open pickup if your over 15, but apparently not in a trailer of pickup camper. That shows you how dangerous that is. I mean if its illegal here, it must be bad.

Can you imagine going south on I95 in the back of a camper? It would literally beat you unconscious...

Back