Safe $5000 - $7000 car for a 16yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: mtndew_dad
Even though the BMW 2002 was an awesome car in it's day, you would be amazed at how badly the occupant would fair in a collision with a car made in the past 5 years.

I didn't have to be surprised, as he was never involved in an accident- in either the '02 or the X3.

That's great, and I hope he never does. This is what I am talking about:

http://youtu.be/C_r5UJrxcck

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A C class Mercedes is a safe bet and you can get them in AWD.

If the cost to keep in on the road aren't too bad that will be a car we'll consider. I just checked the price for a starter, as an example, on Rockauto and it was about the same as an Accord starter.

Safest is a small pickup with no back seat...reduces distraction possibilities and less likely to be thought of (imagined) as being anything other than a daily driver.

Except that the 2002 had to meet the 30 mph barrier crash test for survivability of a belted driver, as well as a fairly strict side impact test. The main purpose of the SRS is to protect unbelted occupants.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

Meh, the vast majority of reasons why teens get into accidents (not to mention meathead adults) are due to obvious errors in judgement (i.e. texting) , not errors in physical skills, car handling/performance, or technique.

If I were in the situation, I would rather put my money to sign up for lytx first, over a performance driving course.
http://www.lytx.com/our-markets/family/overview

Not an either/or, though, you can still spend the $ to go to a driving course too; but I think more value is gained through something like lytx first to squash out the obvious judgement errors that don't require any special driving skills.

Thanks for your response; I've forwarded it to several boards where I am convinced that your insightful analysis will prove extremely valuable.

Anything you put a young driver in can be dangerous. It all depends on the maturity level of the operator and what they will do with no one looking over their shoulder.

I started out in a Renault Alliance, that lasted about a year before it died. Ended up in an OMNI GLH. That thing moved pretty good for 1992. I am here mostly because my parents were involved and I did my best not to do anything too stupid.

Quote:
Ended up in an OMNI GLH. That thing moved pretty good for 1992.
Understatement of the year! That thing moved *way fast* :)

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
A C class Mercedes is a safe bet and you can get them in AWD.

If the cost to keep in on the road aren't too bad that will be a car we'll consider. I just checked the price for a starter, as an example, on Rockauto and it was about the same as an Accord starter.

Parts prices are usually less than for Japanese cars.

Except that the 2002 had to meet the 30 mph barrier crash test for survivability of a belted driver, as well as a fairly strict side impact test. The main purpose of the SRS is to protect unbelted occupants.

Just to be clear, are talking about the 1975 BMW 2002 in your first reply? I guess if 40 year old standards are acceptable I have a nice Black & White TV for you.

Just to be clear, are talking about the 1975 BMW 2002 in your first reply? I guess if 40 year old standards are acceptable I have a nice Black & White TV for you.

Nice straw man argument; in reality I like new cars as well as older classics. But no one in my family ever peed their pants at the thought of taking an extended drive in the '02. I guess we all just like living on the edge...
crackmeup2.gif

Have you considered a second generation, 2005-2010, Kia Optima or a 2003-2010 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix Clone)?

The Kia placed third in a field of 6 Family Sedans in 2007, behind the Nissan Altima #2 and Honda Accord #1, in a Car and Driver Comparo. It beat out the Camry, #5. I don't really know much about it other than this, but it might be worth some research.

Good luck.

Nice straw man argument; in reality I like new cars as well as older classics. But no one in my family ever peed their pants at the thought of taking an extended drive in the '02. I guess we all just like living on the edge...
crackmeup2.gif

What is the world coming to! Next thing you will tell me you play with lawn jarts and ride a bicycle without a helmet!

This has been fun, but we aren't in the same situation. You have a spare vehicle so that's what you let your son drive, I get it. I don't have an spare vehicle, so given the choice I will get something with at least side air bags and make no apologies for doing so. If you read my original post, I never said I was looking for something with all the so called "driving aids".

K24a4

The Optima appears to be a good value, especially if the 100k mile warranty is transferable. I did see a real nice 08 Elantra, and it was a manual trans. It's almost embarrassing for a car guy like myself to admit, but my son doesn't want a manual!

Last edited:
K24a4

The Optima appears to be a good value, especially if the 100k mile warranty is transferable. I did see a real nice 08 Elantra, and it was a manual trans. It's almost embarrassing for a car guy like myself to admit, but my son doesn't want a manual!

BECAUSE YOUR SON WANTS TO **** AROUND WITH A PHONE BEHIND THE WHEEL.
At least thats what his subconscious mind is telling him.

K24a4

When transferred, the 100k warranty becomes a 60k warranty for 2nd and future owners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
K24a4

BECAUSE YOUR SON WANTS TO **** AROUND WITH A PHONE BEHIND THE WHEEL.
At least thats what his subconscious mind is telling him.

Or because he, like many people, sees driving a manual transmission as being just as relevant today as crank-starting a Model T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back