SAE J806

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the test SAE J806 use only 10-20um particles or does it use a larger range of size. Also, if a company claims 98% SPE and 99% MPE using SAE J806 would they be referring to 10-20um size particles only, or could they be referring to any size even greater than 20um.

I don't think so
confused.gif
Otherwise you would have some pathetic beta numbers with no data on larger particles ..or so I reason
dunno.gif

The non-verified rhetoric that I've read says that it deals with 10um and greater particles ...

This standard establishes a multipass filtration performance test with continuous contaminant injection for lubricating oil filter elements. It also includes a procedure for determining the contaminant capacity, particulate removal characteristics, and pressure loss. It also includes a test currently applicable to lubricating oil filter elements which exhibit a 10 um filtration ratio of less than 75 and a rated flow between 4 and 600 L/min. This standard provides a test procedure which yields reproducible test data for evaluating the filtration performance of a lubricating oil filter element.

So 10um absolute or lower (lower than 75 beta ratio - 98.7%)

I wasn't going to pay SAE.ORG $50 to get the real deal.

I just wish manufacturers would be more straight foreward with their claims. Filter A is 99% more efficient than B, but B filters twice as much as C who has 2x the efficiency of any leading brand...sounds like a GRE question.

For all I know they could mean 99% of all golfballs, I'd just like to have the facts.

Me too. The way Filter Guy (more or less) stated it, there's lots of wiggle room in the test parameters.

There's lots of frustration for us at this level. Even if you have some inside source ..or get someone that sounds knowledgeable on the tech line, without it in print it could all be a mistake or misquote.

Even where someone like Amsoil actually gives you a beta number indexed to a given particle size, you don't know the other test parameters (flow rate, injection rate of the test dusts, etc).

..but..that all being said, the better premium filters tend to be the finer filtering (upper end Frams appear not to follow this).

Just to kick this dead horse a bit more, I found this on the net:
ALL TESTS ARE TO BE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROCEDURES DESCRIBED IN SAE-HS J806 TEST PARAMETERS. FOR THE SINGLE PASS EFFICIENCY TEST, “NARROW PARTICLE RANGE CONTAMINANT” (10 MICROMETER DIAMETER) GLASS BEADS ARE TO BE USED"
it came from this page:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/OIL_FILTER.pdf

Also from the Oil_bible.pdf:
Single pass efficiency (SPE): this is measured by the HS806 (sometimes noted as a j806 test). The resulting percentage efficiency of the filter is calculated by taking a certain amount of contaminant in the 10 to 20 micron range and passing it through the filter once. Then, the

I would not trust the "Bible" just dig up the test spec !

But I think Gary's right I read you could do some 'fudging' on the test.

I know it sounds simple, flow thru 10um particles and see what comes out. I doubt it IS simple. Try running the test. This is one reason multi-pass came out, but it's more repeatable and expensive as I understand.

I can image all sorts of problems with single pass results when comparing to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back