Running 0w30 instead of 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI CATHERHAM,

I wish someone as technical and knowledgeable as you would have spoken with them. LOL We would have gotten more info than I posted.

If what you are saying is correct [I have no reason not to believe you], how would edge 0W20 do in an American car calling for a 5W20 oil? IIRC the bottle doesn't mention Ford or Chrysler specs. They did tell me it is always best to use what the mfg specs, and failing to do so, takes the oil company out of the loop if there is a problem.

I'm currently using it in my 08 Jeep Liberty and found it to be the quietest of all the 20 grade oils I've used in it, with zero consumption.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
a 30 weight oil will work fine in your application... Edge or Mobil 1 EP would be very good oils to use.

Actually it won't. The OP has MDS on his 5.7L and that requires a 20 weight.

demarpaint, if a 20wt oil is specified, as it is with, Ford and Chrysler, not to mention Honda, Acura, Toyota and Lexus, 10% shear is nothing to be concerned about. Their is always a large safety margin built into the manufacturer's recommendation.
And while the (hi VI, low vis') 0W-20 oils from Castrol, Toyota, Honda, Eneos and CAM II are designed to shear a certain amount, with a dino 5W-20 they just do eventually and they don't have the low start-up viscosity and anti-wear package of the synthetics I just mentioned.

Thanks CATHERAM- Nicely stated and why I decided on using it. I did a lot of reading and communicating before I decided on using it. No regrets. Funny thing is if you contact Chrylser they flat out tell you 5W20 oil meeting MS6395 spec, and not to use a 0W20 oil, PERIOD. The auto makers tech people aren't up on oil technology at all. I also found that whenever you contact a company for technical advise it is the luck of the draw if you are going to get someone who knows or someone reading off a sheet of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back