Ruger lcp vs kel tec pf9 for pocket carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
My LCP won't feed any ammo reliably. It's not exactly confidence inspiring. I must push on the back of the slide to get it to feed. Annoying.

I'd choose any other gun over the LCP.

Have you tried a heavier recoil (action) spring?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've owned or do own every gun talked about in this thread.

Ruger LCP (a direct copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT) is a reliable, small carry gun. Mine has about 1200 rounds down range with not one single jam or malfunction. An absolute great gun and couldn't live without it. It is the gun I carry when I can't fit anything larger on my person to the clothing choice of the day. Not the best defensive caliber, but am confident it will do its job and it certainly has more power than the .25 and .32 mouse guns. Yeah the sight sucks and the gun has a lot of recoil, but this is not a range gun. It is a small defensive gun and serves that purpose well.

Kel-Tec PF9 - Junk, junk, junk. Did I say junk. Kel-Tec guns are reliable AFTER you send them back to the factory to get a fluff and buff by their guns smiths but are pretty much unreliable out of the box about 50% of the time.

Diamondback - worse junk than Kel-Tec.

Kahr PM9- Some people really like this gun. I've owned 2 of them and they were jammamatics and not what I would consider a front line defensive weapon. If you find a good one that works, good, but my experience with them is less than positive.

Smith and Wesson Shield - A great gun. I don't care for safeties on my guns, so I may disable/remove the safety on mine, but the gun is small and reliable.

Smith and Wesson J-frame 442/642/340 or similar - This is the gun I carry most of the time. Disappears into a pocket, 100% reliable, great defensive caliber. Not much to hate about a small pocket revolver. Capacity sucks at 5 shots, so carry an extra speed strip reloader. Many cops on my old department have started carrying these after seeing/shooting mine. They make good backup guns and off duty guns.

Thanks for your post!

Been thinking out a Nano too.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Thanks for your post!

Been thinking out a Nano too.

JUNK. The extractor design is flawed, the magazine feed is at such a sharp angle that fail to feeds were common. Fail to eject was even more common. I wanted to like it, but it was a major fail.

Just wanted to add my two cents:

I shot both the Ruger and the Keltec. I thought both were unpleasant to shoot, almost painful. The trigger pulls were also horrible and the sights are not even worth mentioning. Both are literally what you carry if you can't carry a serious gun.

Having said that, I bought the Ruger. Having dealt with both companies on warranty issues (not with the LCP), I have more faith in Ruger.

I carried the LCP for a while but just didn't feel comfortable with a .380 or the fact that I have a hard time hitting beyond 15 yards with it. So I picked up a S&W Shield 9mm. It is like night and day! I love the Shield so much better. Even my daughter will willingly shoot the Shield. She won't touch the LCP anymore.

So on the hottest summer day when I absolutely can't stash the Shield, I will pack the LCP.

Originally Posted By: RW1
Just wanted to add my two cents:

I shot both the Ruger and the Keltec. I thought both were unpleasant to shoot, almost painful. The trigger pulls were also horrible and the sights are not even worth mentioning. Both are literally what you carry if you can't carry a serious gun.

Having said that, I bought the Ruger. Having dealt with both companies on warranty issues (not with the LCP), I have more faith in Ruger.

I carried the LCP for a while but just didn't feel comfortable with a .380 or the fact that I have a hard time hitting beyond 15 yards with it. So I picked up a S&W Shield 9mm. It is like night and day! I love the Shield so much better. Even my daughter will willingly shoot the Shield. She won't touch the LCP anymore.

So on the hottest summer day when I absolutely can't stash the Shield, I will pack the LCP.

Do you pocket carry the Shield?

zerosoma, I know we don't see eye to eye, but please tell me that you are planning on using a holster in your pocket?

I see many references to pocket carry without a holster, and I agree with those in support of their use- it's a poor practice. At the least, it can be in a very unhandy or awkward position when it's needed and worst case is it falls out or you end up shooting yourself when you reach for it.

My favorite is the Aholster kydex pocket holster. I own 5 of them. They are thin and have "wings" on the top and bottom of the holster that catch your pocket so they stay in your pocket on the draw.

http://www.lefthandholster.com/Pocket_Holster.php

IMG_2612Small.jpg

Check out Mika holsters. They're not pretty, but they work very well and are comfortable in the pocket. Made in the USA by normal people. The owner is a former big city cop turned small town police chief.

When I order my holster from him, the owner called me personally to review the specifics and discuss some of the options available. Very nice guy that puts out a very functional product.

Zerosoma,

I really can't fit the Shield in a pocket so I have been carrying it in a strongside IWB holster. In shorts with an untucked t-shirt, I can easily stash it and I'm not a very big guy.

On the hottest summer day, I will revert to the LCP in a pocket holster. But if I'm wearing a baggy t-shirt, I can usually get away with the Shield.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
if I was going pocket gun I would definitely look at Glocks new 380...is it out?

Isn't the new G42 bigger than pretty much every other micro .380 out there? I seem to recall the G42 is closer in size to the Shield than the LCP.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: Blaze
if I was going pocket gun I would definitely look at Glocks new 380...is it out?

Isn't the new G42 bigger than pretty much every other micro .380 out there? I seem to recall the G42 is closer in size to the Shield than the LCP.

It is out. Some people reportingly buying them already.

Depends on your pocket size. I wear cargo shorts everywhere and I regularly pocket carry a Glock 26 in my right front pocket, so the G42 should be even smaller and more concealable. It will work in my pockets.

My LCP won't feed any ammo reliably. It's not exactly confidence inspiring. I must push on the back of the slide to get it to feed. Annoying.

If you still have it, contact ruger. Ruger has a lifetime guarantee , regardless of how you bought it( as long as its not stolen). You send it to them and they will repair it. Mine works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

If you still have it, contact ruger. Ruger has a lifetime guarantee , regardless of how you bought it( as long as its not stolen). You send it to them and they will repair it. Mine works flawlessly.

Start by polishing the feed-ramp with a little metal polish like flitz. Some guns just have a rough finish on the feed-ramp that needs a little polishing. That is the first thing that Ruger will do when they get it back (after making sure it is properly lubricated first).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back