Ruger lcp vs kel tec pf9 for pocket carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about a pistol that disappears in your pocket and is the size of your hand but is reliable and will be a good defensive weapon. I chose the lcp over the lc9 in this thread topic because its more tiny and similar in size to the pf9. Go.

I carry a 2nd generation Diamondback DB9 because of size and weight but a LCP is a good choice too as it is light and with modern ammo like the Hornady Critical Defense Ammo it can be quite effective.

I have the lcp, its very easy to conceal with a good holster. I use an american made MTR leather holster made here in NC. I'm happy with it. Its just so small that there might be a time you need someone to realize you have a fire arm and its too small to be recognized. I load mine with FMJ as adequate penetration with .380 is a concern.

Last edited:
I have a friend who originally had the KelTec PF9 and loved it. He later got rid of it for a S&W J-Frame which he also really enjoys. However, when he picked up the LCP, he never carried anything else. He traded the LCP for a Glock 23 STRAIGHT UP. Yeah, the other guy really wanted a LCP but didn't want to spend any money. My friend says he plans on returning to the LCP as the carry handgun of choice. In my experience holding and shooting his PF9 and LCP, I'd prefer the LCP. I like the options with the PF9 in the 9mm caliber, but really, who shoots these types of guns for fun. They serve a purpose and you pull out your comfortable shooting guns for plinking. I'd get the LCP with some Speer Gold Dots and feel comfortable with it.

LCP and PF9 are pretty darn close to each other.

I've been trying to make up my mind on those two also.

I will be watching this thread closely.

Neither. Kahr PM9 or CM9.

The LCP is one of the most unpleasant guns ever. Sights suck, trigger sucks, recoil is brutal, caliber is marginal. It's small and cheap, but plenty of other guns are too.

Kel-Tec does not inspire confidence. Too many problems reported across their model range.

The PM9/CM9 (essentially the same gun) is slightly larger than the LCP yet still remains very small and concealable (it's bigger than the LCP but smaller than the LC9). It has real sights, a better trigger, and is chambered in 9mm. The price is higher, especially the PM9. Reliability is better or comparable to many other pocket guns and better than Kel-Tec. Recoil with standard 9mm loads is better than the LCP, but +P loads are a bit brisk.

Do a Google image search for "LCP PM9" (no quotes) and you'll see a ton of pics comparing them.

Even though i carry the lcp especially in the summer, I'm going to order a Smith + Wesson M+P shield. Its thin, concealable and an available in 9mm and .40.

I agree with strat81 on the LCP. I have one and the trigger on this thing sucks. I guess if you are in a close quarters situation where you'd need it, it won't matter too much but I can't get over that trigger.

I don't have any experience with the Kel-tec so i'm not much help there.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I agree with strat81 on the LCP. I have one and the trigger on this thing sucks. I guess if you are in a close quarters situation where you'd need it, it won't matter too much but I can't get over that trigger.

The trigger pull is long, but in an adrenaline situation it will work. This is not a target pistol, while i agree the Kahr has a better trigger. This gun is basically a 10-15 foot close quarters gun. With no safety, i don't mind the trigger.
If you get a chance , do put your hands on an M+P Shield.

Last edited:
I went through this choice also and between the pf-9 and LCP, I went with the PF-9. The LCP was just too small for my hands, really had no sights and 9mm is the minimum acceptable caliber for me. The sights are easily adjustable and give a pretty good picture for what they are. I was able to snag my PF-9 on sale at my local gun shop for $225, a sweet deal!

The PF-9 has been great; no jams, surprisingly accurate and not too bad to shoot. My hands are kind of numb and vibrating after I fire about 30 rounds but it isn't anywhere as bad as my dad's little 357 mag revolver.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda

The trigger pull is long, but in an adrenaline situation it will work. This is not a target pistol, while i agree the Kahr has a better trigger. This gun is basically a 10-15 foot close quarters gun. With no safety, i don't mind the trigger.
If you get a chance , do put your hands on an M+P Shield.

Hey, yeah I shot one. Not bad but def would not slip in my pocket easily. The lcp may have a brutal trigger but a guy isn't gonna take it to the range on range day.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Hey, yeah I shot one. Not bad but def would not slip in my pocket easily. The lcp may have a brutal trigger but a guy isn't gonna take it to the range on range day.

Why wouldn't you take your carry gun to the range?

Originally Posted By: strat81

Amen.

You should take your carry gun to the range, and often...if you're not completely proficient with that weapon (which takes thousands of rounds) then you shouldn't be carrying it in the first place!

Want an eye-opening experience? Shoot your CCW at a practical pistol match. One-handed, support-hand only, around corners, behind cover, prone, multiple mag changes, no-shoot targets, partially covered targets, moving targets...

Completely different, but I watched a guy shoot a 3-gun match with an M1 Garand. What a hoot!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Amen.

You should take your carry gun to the range, and often...if you're not completely proficient with that weapon (which takes thousands of rounds) then you shouldn't be carrying it in the first place!

I agree completely. my comment about it not being a target pistol was in reference to the trigger pull. I mean don't expect a super short crisp trigger like you would with a target type pistol. I would not want a light short trigger on a carry gun especially with no safety.

There goes misconception again. What I meant was, it is not a range toy. Therefore if the trigger pull is a little brutal, its not that big of an issue since you're not taking the pistol shooting plates at 50 yards. Gotta elaborate on everything around here.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Amen.

I agree completely. my comment about it not being a target pistol was in reference to the trigger pull. I mean don't expect a super short crisp trigger like you would with a target type pistol. I would not want a light short trigger on a carry gun especially with no safety.

^ this guy gets it.

My LCP won't feed any ammo reliably. It's not exactly confidence inspiring. I must push on the back of the slide to get it to feed. Annoying.

I'd choose any other gun over the LCP.

I've owned or do own every gun talked about in this thread.

Ruger LCP (a direct copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT) is a reliable, small carry gun. Mine has about 1200 rounds down range with not one single jam or malfunction. An absolute great gun and couldn't live without it. It is the gun I carry when I can't fit anything larger on my person to the clothing choice of the day. Not the best defensive caliber, but am confident it will do its job and it certainly has more power than the .25 and .32 mouse guns. Yeah the sight sucks and the gun has a lot of recoil, but this is not a range gun. It is a small defensive gun and serves that purpose well.

Kel-Tec PF9 - Junk, junk, junk. Did I say junk. Kel-Tec guns are reliable AFTER you send them back to the factory to get a fluff and buff by their guns smiths but are pretty much unreliable out of the box about 50% of the time.

Diamondback - worse junk than Kel-Tec.

Kahr PM9- Some people really like this gun. I've owned 2 of them and they were jammamatics and not what I would consider a front line defensive weapon. If you find a good one that works, good, but my experience with them is less than positive.

Smith and Wesson Shield - A great gun. I don't care for safeties on my guns, so I may disable/remove the safety on mine, but the gun is small and reliable.

Smith and Wesson J-frame 442/642/340 or similar - This is the gun I carry most of the time. Disappears into a pocket, 100% reliable, great defensive caliber. Not much to hate about a small pocket revolver. Capacity sucks at 5 shots, so carry an extra speed strip reloader. Many cops on my old department have started carrying these after seeing/shooting mine. They make good backup guns and off duty guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back