ROYAL PURPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife and I bought 2018 Hyundai Elantra SEL new and a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Limited that was a lease turn in with only 22, 231. In oil changes I am heavily considering using 5w20 Full Synthetic Royal Purple in both vehicles. Is this to much? Is Royal Purple good? Or should I stick to QS?

qs is more than adequate
coffee2.gif

My sister has beaten the crap out of 3 Elantras and all had long lives on conventional oil. Any synthetic that meets the spec in the manual is fine and so is conventional in this engine. They are good durable engines.
thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations on the new purchase, it will serve you well.

Use QS, RP is overpriced trash, just my opinion. It's never shown very impressive UOA's around here considering how expensive it is! If you want to shell out that kind of money for oil go with Amsoil or Redline, but I wouldn't bother with those either unless it was a track car as they're overkill for any street car.

I had a 2013 Sonata, and currently have 2016 KIA Sorento, 2015 KIA Rio, 2010 Mazda 3, and a 2009 Venza V6.
I run Penzzoil Platinum 5W-20/30 . Works really well.
If I can suggest, use the OE Blue Hyundai filter. Built liked a tank, and handles the pressure swings of the Hyundai engines.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Use QS, RP is overpriced trash good, but NOT great, oil, just my opinion. .

I fixed it for you.

Royal Purple was great once a long time ago, but the current "SN" rated flavor is just plain jane "synthetic" now.

It's not worth what they charge for it.

It won't be worth it to use RP in those vehicles. The price of the product vs OCI duration. Quaker State is a good oil.
Royal Purple is not highly regarded by very many here.

There's nothing wrong with Royal Purple "passenger car" (read: "Non-Racing") oils...

except that they really aren't much more special than the SuperTech "full synthetic" you can buy for much, much cheaper.

Both of those are GREAT synthetic oils..... but the purple dye is kind of expensive.

Originally Posted by Linctex
There's nothing wrong with Royal Purple "passenger car" (read: "Non-Racing") oils...

except that they really aren't much more special than the SuperTech "full synthetic" you can buy for much, much cheaper.

Both of those are GREAT synthetic oils..... but the purple dye is kind of expensive.

Only problem I've seen is for nearly 60% less you can get an oil that is just as good.

Originally Posted by Danno
I had a 2013 Sonata, and currently have 2016 KIA Sorento, 2015 KIA Rio, 2010 Mazda 3, and a 2009 Venza V6.
I run Penzzoil Platinum 5W-20/30 . Works really well.
If I can suggest, use the OE Blue Hyundai filter. Built liked a tank, and handles the pressure swings of the Hyundai engines.

The Fram Ultra speced for Hyundai went back to Fram's engineers about 3-4 years ago to specifically address, "the Hyundai issues" so the Fram Ultra is another filter to run with far better filtering the the OEM filter. The Hyundai Fram Ultra can flow 20 plus gallons a minute, far more then the cars pump flows.

Originally Posted by deven
Gotta love the purple hatred on this forum.....

It's not hatred, the performance you get for the price you pay for R.P. doesn't make it a good value proposition so that is why folks don't use it and steer others away. There are plenty of shelf oils out there offering the same/better performance for a lot less.

North American Castrol Edge is in the same boat and it's a shelf-oil more widely carried than RP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by jongies3
Use QS, RP is overpriced trash good, but NOT great, oil, just my opinion. .

I fixed it for you.

Royal Purple was great once a long time ago, but the current "SN" rated flavor is just plain jane "synthetic" now.

It's not worth what they charge for it.

This a really childish. Fixed it for you. What are 12?

Back to topic. Buy whatever is on sale. House brand PCMO'S on the recommended OCI the last thing you will have is a oil related engine failure.

I tried Royal Purple and it sheared. It is def over priced. Any off shelf spec oil at Wal-mart shall suffice!

Your engine won't know the difference no matter what brand or color of oil you put into it, as long as it meets manufacturers specs.

If you like RP, use it. There's nothing wrong with liking a brand. It's your money, spend it how you see fit. It's a quality oil.

Royal Purple's regular API-certified synthetic is fine oil, but if you're paying retail price for it, it's not worth it. That said, it's plenty good oil that's on par with other name brand synthetics like Castrol Edge or Valvoline Synthetic.
Royal Purple's performance oils (like Royal Purple HPS) are great for older engines but hard to find and even more expensive.
Of course, the best part is that it's purple. Nobody else offers that
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back