Royal Purple 10W30/96 s-10 4.3/5,000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my girlfriend's S-10 4.3 vorteck. The truck has 118,000mi total, 5000 on the sample.
Normal driving, no towing, no abuse

copper-------7
iron---------27
chromium-----0
alumium------4
lead---------15
molybdenum---108
phosphorus---948
zink---------1085
magnesium----26
calcium------2171
antifreeze---.0
fuel dilution--N
h2o----------.0
silicon------13
viscosity----9.70
sae iso------30W
sulfur-------92%
oxidation----23%
nitration----13%

contamination and additive depletion levels normal, maintain current oil drain interval
Schaeffer's lab

Just kinda an average report. But for that vehicle it may be outstanding. As folks will tell you-the trend is what counts. No problems though and that's a good thing. The oil did thin out but it's still a 30 wt. Chances are Mobil 1 10W-30 will do a little better, but if there is no big price difference or RP is easy to obtain-stick with it. Thanks for posting.
cheers.gif

Yep, iron and lead wear look at least a little high (but may be in line with this particular motor design, if memory serves). Oil has sheared some, I think. I don’t know what this oil starts out at but at its current 9.7, it’s barely a 30 weight (range = 9.3 to 12.5).

Some of the wear could be due to mediocre air filtration … and Si of 13 indicates a bit too much dirt is probably getting by the filter. It’s worth a check or replacement if it’s been in there a year or more.

Just an “OK” report. Again, it’s best to compare this against other 4.3s … perhaps do a search in the used oil analysis section for “Vortec” or “4.3” and see what results you get?
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

My virgin sample of Royal Purple 5w30 showed a viscosity of 11.4 cst at 100c, but I believe their 10w30 is closer to 11.0 at 100c. Their spec sheet says 10.7, however this same spec sheet said 11.0 for the 5w30 and it tested higher in my case.

I do not know to much on 4.3L engines.

Just some tangent thoughts:

Is not 27 for an Fe+ value not troubling in itself?

Well the string seems to concur it is not for the Vortec engine. My only contention is good motor or not thats a lot of metal dissapearing for 5k?

Other oil posts are citing Fe values of 1ppm/1k such as Shaeefers and Amsoil, then again a major factor in wear could the very engineering of the powetrain itself.

Thank's for the response guys.
I thought it was rather average myself, but that is good news. The truck has lost a little coolant over the summer (intake gasket?). I was also expecting it to fall out of viscosity, it almost did. I will be putting in Schaeffers and doing a
5,000mi run with it and see how things go.

thank's one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back