Routine Maintenance advice for newish car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, ive got a 2009 versa sedan, manual transmission, its got 19000 miles on it. Runs like a dream, gets 35mpg mixed city/highway. Ive been doing my own oil changes, pennzoil platinum 5W30 every 5K miles. I was wondering if I should flush any fluids now that im coming up on 20K miles?
I was also wondering if there is anything on the car that i need to grease (Zerk points)?
Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Dont use Nissan OEM oil filters, these filters are all cardboard construction, some say they are Fram or Denzo, low quality, my brother has taken them appart and told me to NEVER use Nissan OEM. I use a Baldwin, they are high quality and less cost than OEM Nissan. Up here in Canada an OEM Nissan filter at Stealership is $12.00 filter, a Baldwin is 40% less cost and 4 times better quality. If you are using OEM Nissan filter then cut it open and see WHY NOT TO USE IT.

Cyprs

I would do MTF and whatever coolant I could suck from the expansion tank and radiator. Any other fluids? Is the differential the same fluid as the MT?

Id consider doing a baster suction of brake fluid and PSF, but no big deal, IMO.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hey guys, ive got a 2009 versa sedan, manual transmission, its got 19000 miles on it. Runs like a dream, gets 35mpg mixed city/highway. Ive been doing my own oil changes, pennzoil platinum 5W30 every 5K miles. I was wondering if I should flush any fluids now that im coming up on 20K miles?
I was also wondering if there is anything on the car that i need to grease (Zerk points)?

You could stretch your OCI on PP to 7500 miles.

Its a waste of time, $$$, and good oil to just go 5000 on a quality synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cyprs
Dont use Nissan OEM oil filters, these filters are all cardboard construction, some say they are Fram or Denzo, low quality, my brother has taken them appart and told me to NEVER use Nissan OEM.

Don't trash DENSO unless you can spell its name correctly.
24.gif
DENSO filters are very high quality. Click here to see one that I cut open.

The lower quality Nissan OEM filters are the ones that were made in China.

Thanks for all the input, i use a Purolator pureone filter since there are great reviews on BITOG for it.
Does my car have a differential is my next question, since JHZR2 mentioned changing the differential fluid?

Any grease or lubrication needed anywhere on the body?

Thanks a ton guys, stay warm if you are on the East Coast blizzard!

i use a Purolator pureone filter since there are great reviews on BITOG for it.

Good choice. Can't go wrong with a PureONE. Click here to see one that I cut open.

If you haven't bought the filters yet, you might want to consider a PL14610 over a a PL14612. The only difference is that the PL14610 is a bit longer and thus has more filtering media. You'll just want to confirm that you have enough clearance for the extra 0.6".

Barlowc
In 2008 My father bought a new 2008 Toyota Camry, at that time he bought a 12 pack of Toyota OEM Denso filters. My brother (a light and heavy duty ticketed mechanic) took off the factory OEM Denso and tore it apart, it was of greatest quality from Toyota factory.

Then they installed one of the 12 pack Densos, ran it for an OCI, they took it apart to inspect it, JUNK, absolute [censored]. IT was NOT THE SAME DENSO FILTER as ORIGINAL FROM FACTORY.

We have also torn apart Nissan filters, will NEVER use one after that. I dont know if Denso or Fram makes OEM Nissan Filters, that is what I have narrowed down to and Nissan OEM is [censored].

My harddrive is full of technical data from Baldwin etc. I do extensive work to find the best possible filter for any of my vehicles, I do NOT settle on OEM replacement. I learn the criteria my filter must meet in burst pressure, gasket numbers and thread, bypass, gallons per minute, absolute micron, and I look for larger filter if possible too. There is a very crafty and shrewd way I learn all the technical data #s on the media tech #'s. I learned the #s for paper to hpg medias (high performance glass) because at times filter companies do not tell one out and out what the media is and sometimes they wont give absolute, when I know the media I know the absolute. They always give me media#s' and all I need.

For one example of what I do, I learned the piece of [censored] a Nissan OEM filter is so I look for a Baldwin and found the B1402 which is a great filter construction but I was not happy with 45 micron absoute in a paper media which is standard for Denso etc. . I take all the criteria of this OEM filter requirements and spend hours and hours searching gasket, micron, thread,size, bypass, flow, burst pressure, etc. I will narrow down to about 15 filters, then I get the info from tech on media filter #s in my shrewd way, once I have that then I narrow down to the 25 absolute micron HPG filters I want. Two filters come up, the B7334 with HPG media,(the filter is not listed or marked HPG but it IS in my media # research) Baldwin will not mark every filter with an HPG stamp even though it is HPG. The other filter is bigger but absolute Micron of 30 rather than 25 and media had paper/celluous rather than glass. This B7334 is diamond hiding in rough, it is Cummins filter, do you think Baldwin or Nissan wants me to know that I have found the ULTIMATE GLASS MEIDIA Filter to fit my Nissan engine for same cost as a 45 micron paper B1402 or half price of Nissan OEM? This filter will fit about 150+ 4and 6 cylinder engines that require a b1400, B1402 in cross reference. I have found a HPG 25 absolulte micron filter that can cost up to 25.00 Can. for $8.00 with a lot of homework.

After I find this B7334 then it gets tested on my brothers flow tester which he built, I take an OEM filter and we run oil in at set PSIs and write down the resistance measured on gauge of other side filter, my glass media always out preform OEM paper [censored]. My brother and I went to these options when we saw first hand the [censored] Nissan and toyota offer in OEM filters at double cost. We lost all confidence and took filtrationinto our own hands.

I should not have given this example on BITOG as I am only giving my success in finding the ultimate filter for my purpose and the B7334 is not OEM, it is what I do in skinning a cat more than one way when I have NO other quality offering in filtration to meet my grade of quality I demand for my vehicles due to [censored] I see offered by Toyota made Denso and Nisan and others.

I find many HPG Baldwin filters for friends and families' engines, I do homework on burst pressures, bypass, flow etc. I dont play engineer and stick on any filter in HPG that fits.

Sometime easier too like following:
I use Donaldson, Fleetguard and Baldwin, with a lot of work I can find glass media filters that fit my OEM vehicles if I look past paper OEM cross referencing and hunt. For example my 2005 Xtail I use the B7334 glass media at 25 absolute, , my 87 Nissan and Toyota take a Donaldson P169071 @20 absolute or B2HPG at 25 or LF3487 glass strata, my sons Olds 3.1 did take the Donaldson P551260 absolute 15 ot 20 micron but I bought last ones at supplier,I talked to the Donaldson tech in States and he told me they were discontinued 2 years ago and I used up stock floating out there. so like a filter hound I find the glass media LF3554 Fleetguard.

I would NOT base my trust on ONE Denso you opened up, think of the 12 pieces of [censored] in Denso my father would have put on his new Toyota in last 3 years , the easy way would have been to trust Toyota Denso service desk filters and trust they were the same quality of the factory Denso we tore apart. Had we not torn that service desk Denso apart then my father would probably be buying another 12 pack of [censored] assed densos without knowing better after using the firt 12 pieces of [censored] in last 3 years. I was talking here in terms of first hand experience with Stealership Densos and I make NO [censored] APOLOGY for that first hand experinece.

I know a NISSAN OEM is [censored], it is absolute [censored], I have narowed Nissan OEM to either Fram or Denso, if Denso does manufacture OEM NISSAN filters then I go on record of calling them what they are, [censored]. I know what a Toyota Denso is too.

Any one wanting the Baldwin media #s and their translations on media types I can give them, then you can also find your ultimate glass media rather than the paper [censored] at 45 micron absoulute that people [censored] over..

I have no doubt that at some time you disected a quality Denso as we did on a Quality Toyota factory installed Denso, we disected one of 12 packed Toyota service desk Densos and learned our lesson on Denso. They looked real close to the construction in of Nissan OEM too and that is context I speak in my advice on densoin the first post.

I did not realize BITOG was [censored] spelling contest, I thought it based on [censored] merit. I dont blow smoke out my [censored] on filter advice to anyone, I back it up too with filter teardowns and relay what I [censored] find no matter what the company is and also based hours and hours homework.

I think it is time I [censored] from Bitog.

Cyprs

Save those oil and filter receipts and all the receipts of maintenance done. And zerox or scan them.

I'd personally take a digital photo of the oil and filter on top of a newspaper showing the date of each and every oil change you performed along with a second photo of the odometer reading just to cover yourself for any warranty related issues that may arise in the future.

My cars are out of warranty but I would surely do the above for a new vehicle that was under warranty and maintenance was not performed by the dealer.

My gut feel is that you are just fine with your Pure One filters and a 5K mile Oil Change Interval.
I have a Pure One on my vehicle right now.
The oil you are using is also just fine.
I have also used WIX filters.

I like to bleed the brake fluid at each wheel at least every other year.

Your owner's manual should provide you with a mainenance schedule, I would change fluids AT LEAST at the interval that they recommend.
I would also make SURE to use fluids that meet the specifications listed by Nissan.

You might also be able to find a Versa forum to keep in tune with what is going on with your specific vehicle.

If u hve the owners manual or can order one, it will list things to do at different mileage intervals is my best advice or go by the dealership and ask them. then u can make an informed decision and u wont have to guess IMHO>

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
Barlowc
In 2008 My father bought a new 2008 Toyota Camry, at that time he bought a 12 pack of Toyota OEM Denso filters. My brother (a light and heavy duty ticketed mechanic) took off the factory OEM Denso and tore it apart, it was of greatest quality from Toyota factory.

Then they installed one of the 12 pack Densos, ran it for an OCI, they took it apart to inspect it, JUNK, absolute [censored]. IT was NOT THE SAME DENSO FILTER as ORIGINAL FROM FACTORY.

We have also torn apart Nissan filters, will NEVER use one after that. I dont know if Denso or Fram makes OEM Nissan Filters, that is what I have narrowed down to and Nissan OEM is [censored].

My harddrive is full of technical data from Baldwin etc. I do extensive work to find the best possible filter for any of my vehicles, I do NOT settle on OEM replacement. I learn the criteria my filter must meet in burst pressure, gasket numbers and thread, bypass, gallons per minute, absolute micron, and I look for larger filter if possible too. There is a very crafty and shrewd way I learn all the technical data #s on the media tech #'s. I learned the #s for paper to hpg medias (high performance glass) because at times filter companies do not tell one out and out what the media is and sometimes they wont give absolute, when I know the media I know the absolute. They always give me media#s' and all I need.

For one example of what I do, I learned the piece of [censored] a Nissan OEM filter is so I look for a Baldwin and found the B1402 which is a great filter construction but I was not happy with 45 micron absoute in a paper media which is standard for Denso etc. . I take all the criteria of this OEM filter requirements and spend hours and hours searching gasket, micron, thread,size, bypass, flow, burst pressure, etc. I will narrow down to about 15 filters, then I get the info from tech on media filter #s in my shrewd way, once I have that then I narrow down to the 25 absolute micron HPG filters I want. Two filters come up, the B7334 with HPG media,(the filter is not listed or marked HPG but it IS in my media # research) Baldwin will not mark every filter with an HPG stamp even though it is HPG. The other filter is bigger but absolute Micron of 30 rather than 25 and media had paper/celluous rather than glass. This B7334 is diamond hiding in rough, it is Cummins filter, do you think Baldwin or Nissan wants me to know that I have found the ULTIMATE GLASS MEIDIA Filter to fit my Nissan engine for same cost as a 45 micron paper B1402 or half price of Nissan OEM? This filter will fit about 150+ 4and 6 cylinder engines that require a b1400, B1402 in cross reference. I have found a HPG 25 absolulte micron filter that can cost up to 25.00 Can. for $8.00 with a lot of homework.

After I find this B7334 then it gets tested on my brothers flow tester which he built, I take an OEM filter and we run oil in at set PSIs and write down the resistance measured on gauge of other side filter, my glass media always out preform OEM paper [censored]. My brother and I went to these options when we saw first hand the [censored] Nissan and toyota offer in OEM filters at double cost. We lost all confidence and took filtrationinto our own hands.

I should not have given this example on BITOG as I am only giving my success in finding the ultimate filter for my purpose and the B7334 is not OEM, it is what I do in skinning a cat more than one way when I have NO other quality offering in filtration to meet my grade of quality I demand for my vehicles due to [censored] I see offered by Toyota made Denso and Nisan and others.

I find many HPG Baldwin filters for friends and families' engines, I do homework on burst pressures, bypass, flow etc. I dont play engineer and stick on any filter in HPG that fits.

Sometime easier too like following:
I use Donaldson, Fleetguard and Baldwin, with a lot of work I can find glass media filters that fit my OEM vehicles if I look past paper OEM cross referencing and hunt. For example my 2005 Xtail I use the B7334 glass media at 25 absolute, , my 87 Nissan and Toyota take a Donaldson P169071 @20 absolute or B2HPG at 25 or LF3487 glass strata, my sons Olds 3.1 did take the Donaldson P551260 absolute 15 ot 20 micron but I bought last ones at supplier,I talked to the Donaldson tech in States and he told me they were discontinued 2 years ago and I used up stock floating out there. so like a filter hound I find the glass media LF3554 Fleetguard.

I would NOT base my trust on ONE Denso you opened up, think of the 12 pieces of [censored] in Denso my father would have put on his new Toyota in last 3 years , the easy way would have been to trust Toyota Denso service desk filters and trust they were the same quality of the factory Denso we tore apart. Had we not torn that service desk Denso apart then my father would probably be buying another 12 pack of [censored] assed densos without knowing better after using the firt 12 pieces of [censored] in last 3 years. I was talking here in terms of first hand experience with Stealership Densos and I make NO [censored] APOLOGY for that first hand experinece.

I know a NISSAN OEM is [censored], it is absolute [censored], I have narowed Nissan OEM to either Fram or Denso, if Denso does manufacture OEM NISSAN filters then I go on record of calling them what they are, [censored]. I know what a Toyota Denso is too.

Any one wanting the Baldwin media #s and their translations on media types I can give them, then you can also find your ultimate glass media rather than the paper [censored] at 45 micron absoulute that people [censored] over..

I have no doubt that at some time you disected a quality Denso as we did on a Quality Toyota factory installed Denso, we disected one of 12 packed Toyota service desk Densos and learned our lesson on Denso. They looked real close to the construction in of Nissan OEM too and that is context I speak in my advice on densoin the first post.

I did not realize BITOG was [censored] spelling contest, I thought it based on [censored] merit. I dont blow smoke out my [censored] on filter advice to anyone, I back it up too with filter teardowns and relay what I [censored] find no matter what the company is and also based hours and hours homework.

I think it is time I [censored] from Bitog.

Cyprs
that ws certainly a lot of stuff there Cyprs, for a minute there I thought u mite have sat on a thorn or something. Must have read that incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back