Router Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an awesome guy... Here a Network Engineer is helping a Computer Engineer... hahaha I wish I had checked it first... I kinda feel stupid now.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
YAY... My ASUS Router is working again... I used another 5V 2.5A Voltage adapter (I had laying around) as per OVERK1LL's suggestion and the router is working perfectly again.

I opened up the other one that came with the router and the Capacitor did blow up like he said it might have.

Thanks OVERK1LL! You saved me $50+Tax!!!!! I got my DD-WRT router back!

Woohoo!
grin2.gif

StevieC, which model ASUS router do you have?

Tnx,

Wayne

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Once again, Chinese capacitors 0wned us.

Could be worse...you coulda been feeding your baby formula "fortified" with melamine.
21.gif
<-- mei ban fa

I recently had a Motorola cable modem start acting flaky and running hotter than normal. Turned out the AC adapter was putting out 30% more voltage than it was supposed to. Is this AC adapter problem a widespread issue?

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
YAY... My ASUS Router is working again... I used another 5V 2.5A Voltage adapter (I had laying around) as per OVERK1LL's suggestion and the router is working perfectly again.

I opened up the other one that came with the router and the Capacitor did blow up like he said it might have.

Thanks OVERK1LL! You saved me $50+Tax!!!!! I got my DD-WRT router back!

Woohoo!
grin2.gif

StevieC, which model ASUS router do you have?

Tnx,

Wayne

The WL-500GP-2 V2

Asus_WL-500gP%20V2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
I recently had a Motorola cable modem start acting flaky and running hotter than normal. Turned out the AC adapter was putting out 30% more voltage than it was supposed to. Is this AC adapter problem a widespread issue?
I'm beginning to think so... Went through a router every 6 months to a year prior to this Asus one... I wonder how many were bad power supplies..

I'm beginning to think so... Went through a router every 6 months to a year prior to this Asus one... I wonder how many were bad power supplies..

I wonder if some of the suspect power supplies are really sensitive to fluctuations in line voltage? I generally connect mine to a 1500VA UPS along with the cablemodem so I don't lose phone service in a power outage. I haven't lost a wall wart in years.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

I wonder if some of the suspect power supplies are really sensitive to fluctuations in line voltage? I generally connect mine to a 1500VA UPS along with the cablemodem so I don't lose phone service in a power outage. I haven't lost a wall wart in years.

Cheers,

If it is something that can work from 100 to 240 (switching PS), it wouldn't be much of an impact at all if it fluctuate.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

If it is something that can work from 100 to 240 (switching PS), it wouldn't be much of an impact at all if it fluctuate.

Yes. Assuming quality construction with quality components. :)

Cheers,

This modem adapter that went bad was plugged in to my UPS, so I think it should have been protected. The wall wart itself got so hot that you could barely handle it.

Cheers,

Mine is connected to a UPS that powers our home file server & switch.

This modem adapter that went bad was plugged in to my UPS, so I think it should have been protected.

You might want to view typical power from a 120 volts UPS. When it battery backup mode, this UPS outputs two 200 volts square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts between those square waves. Whereas this power may be harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. This power is also perfectly ideal for electronics.

So where is this 'router protection' provided by that UPS. It exists only in hearsay. When not in battery backup mode, the router is connected directly to AC mains. Have any doubts? The post the manufacturer numeric spec numbers that claim all that protection. Where does it list each type of surge and protection from that surge ... in numbers? It does not. A majority has easily been convinced of a myth - that the UPS 'cleans' power or protects that router. Easy to do when the majority ignores spec numbers.

How much variation is acceptable for a router? Incandescent lamps must dim to less than 50% intensity - and that is still perfectly good AC voltage for electronics. Voltage drop that can be harmful to electric motors is well within the normal electronics voltage range.

What causes router damage? That is a topic completely different from what anyone has discussed here. AC power gets blamed for the same reason that witches and extra-terrestrial aliens get blamed. First point - that UPS does nothing to protect the router from anything but a blackout. UPS is installed so that you can continue networking during a blackout - nothing more. Reasons for router failure? A discussion about things nobody (except one) has mentioned.

Originally Posted By: westom
This modem adapter that went bad was plugged in to my UPS, so I think it should have been protected.

You might want to view typical power from a 120 volts UPS. When it battery backup mode, this UPS outputs two 200 volts square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts between those square waves. Whereas this power may be harmful to small electric motors and power strip protectors. This power is also perfectly ideal for electronics.

So where is this 'router protection' provided by that UPS. It exists only in hearsay. When not in battery backup mode, the router is connected directly to AC mains. Have any doubts? The post the manufacturer numeric spec numbers that claim all that protection. Where does it list each type of surge and protection from that surge ... in numbers? It does not. A majority has easily been convinced of a myth - that the UPS 'cleans' power or protects that router. Easy to do when the majority ignores spec numbers.

How much variation is acceptable for a router? Incandescent lamps must dim to less than 50% intensity - and that is still perfectly good AC voltage for electronics. Voltage drop that can be harmful to electric motors is well within the normal electronics voltage range.

What causes router damage? That is a topic completely different from what anyone has discussed here. AC power gets blamed for the same reason that witches and extra-terrestrial aliens get blamed. First point - that UPS does nothing to protect the router from anything but a blackout. UPS is installed so that you can continue networking during a blackout - nothing more. Reasons for router failure? A discussion about things nobody (except one) has mentioned.

My UPS is a APC BE750G with the following claimed protection.

Surge energy rating: 365 Joules

Filtering: Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 5% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449

Data Line Protection: RJ-45 Modem/Fax/DSL/10-100 Base-T protection,Cable modem / Video protection

Five of the ten outlets are UPS, and the other five are not, but are supposedly still surge protected. I'll admit I'm mostly clueless as to whether or not this is all adequate or not. Are you saying that this surge protection is only in place when the UPS is on battery power? If so, I'm now fairly concerned.

Yeah, that drive-by rant was amusing. My APC SmartUPS outlets are surge protected (459 joules) and corrected for voltage sags/spikes to 120V +-5% SINE wave output. It also offers full-time multi-pole EMI/RFI filtering.

Surge energy rating: 365 Joules
Filtering: Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 5% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449
Data Line Protection: RJ-45 Modem/Fax/DSL/10-100 Base-T protection,Cable modem / Video protection

Where is any number that claims protection from each type of surge? Does not exist. APC does not claim protection from surges that are typically destructive. Those numbers make no protection claims.

Will that 365 joules absorb a surge that is hundred of thousands of joules? Of course not. That is near zero protection. Near zero protection is just enough above zero so that it can claim surge protection in a sales brochure. They are selling the people who routinely ignore all numbers. Need you to 'assume' it is significant protection.

Filters do not stop surges. Filters do trivial things such as meet FCC requirements. Electronics cannot radiate EMI/RFI. Same filtering ia already inside electronics.

No filter stops surges. If anything tries to stop a surge current, then voltage increases as necessary to blow through that blocking device. Do you really think that 365 joules will somehow stop what 3 miles of sky could not? Well, that is what it claims ... subjectively. Do you really believe that 2 cm part inside the APC stops something that three miles of sky could not?

What does it protect from? Transients that are not destructive.

Numerically, APC makes no protection claims. Getting others to promote the myth is easy.

All appliances contain significant protection. But maybe once every seven years, a surge that can overwhelm that protection may occur. So we earth once 'whole house' protector so that the rare and destructive surge causes no damage. So that even a direct lightning strike to utility wires does not seek earth ground destructively via household appliances.

Meanwhile, that 'whole house' protector also makes lesser transients irrelevant including some that the APC does not claim to protect from. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

Last edited:
Funny, I've never worried about 'lightning'. I do worry about the 'grid'. Maybe it doesn't help that I have electric heat, hot water, 2 refrigerators, multiple A/C's, and 50yr old house wiring.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector3.htm

My lamps' fluorescent and LED light bulbs last indefinitely when protected by even those cheesy store bought APC- equivalent UPS and surge protectors. I seem to be always replacing the ceiling bulbs that aren't protected.

The LED street lights around here slowly lose 1 LED at a time. Most of them around are 20-30% dead already. No lightning here to worry about.

Transients are destructive and add up over time to cause failures.

HowStuffWorks is so chock full of myths, half truths, and outright lies that only obvious mistakes on the first page are discussed on 17 Nov 2003 entitled "Inside a surge protector" in rec.radio.shortwave at:
http://tinyurl.com/2fy7u

Multiple posters also confront "HowStuffWorks" myths in "Is my surge protector good?" in alt.comp.hardware starting 8 Oct 2002 at:
http://tinyurl.com/3bn64

But more [censored]; you did not know this. To recommend HowStuffWorks says you possess insufficient electrical knowledge. Obviously did not know that voltage variations are more harmful to electric motors - not to electronics. And that a UPS will output some of the 'dirtiest' electricity when in battery backup mode. Electricity far 'dirtier' than what is seen on the grid.

Do you put refrigerators on an APC UPS? Then you have put the refrierator motor at greater risk.

How 'dirty' is UPS power? Well it can even harm small electric motors and power strip protectors. But does not have electronics because electronics are more robust. If you knew that, you would also know that HowStuffWorks article is bogus.

We install surge protectors so that the typically destructive surge - lightning - does not overwhelm proection inside every appliance. Lesser transients (ie noise from the grid) is made irrelevant by protection inside all appliances AND made further irrelevant by one 'whole house' protector.

But then you quoted HowStuffWorks as a responsible source. That says basic electrical knowledge is not available. Explains why the APC does nothing helpful for the OP and his intermittent.

Wow, must be a slow news week in NJ. Westom joined a forum site dedicated to oil and posted 3 rants in 3 days...all about a non-oil topic. Now that's dedication. LOL

Pardon me...I need to run off an join a cooking forum so I can post a few messages about replacing a tie rod end....hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back