Router DHCP IP lease question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

I have an oddity on my router recently. Under Tomato, the LAN DHCP is 192.168.1.100-.149, but instead of issuing 192.168.1.100 as my starting IP (which used to be in XP), it starts with 192.168.1.118?

My Ubuntu server is @ 192.168.1.103 and I can't access that either. Pinging = 100% lost packets. I ran MS Essentials last night and much nasty Java related viruses were found, and am currently running Eset online scanner. I'll complete Eset and try to release/renew.

Tomato does not assign IP addresses sequentially. It'll grab a random available address from the pool that you specify.

If you want a specific IP address assigned to a given device, configure it as static.

Thanks Pete. I guess the stranger thing is my Server has disappeared off of the IP radar. I was suspecting viral shenanigans but maybe it's unrelated.

Was the .103 address assigned by Tomato or was it manually set at the ubuntu device? Make sure to configure the networking properties in ubuntu to obtain IP address automatically, but you probably already knew that.
smile.gif

In any case, you don't want a manually set IP address that's in the same pool as controlled by Tomato since there is a risk that Tomato will assign the same address to another device on the network.

No the Ubuntu server is set static to .103

But I was able to login to the Ubuntu server after the Tomato upgrade so I'm not sure what's changed? I know it's running, and I've restarted the server too.

OK, but it is recommended that your static IPs be outside of the dynamic DHCP pool that you've configured, another words, not in the .100 - .149 range in your case.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, but it is recommended that your static IPs be outside of the dynamic DHCP pool that you've configured, another words, not in the .100 - .149 range in your case.

Recommended? No, it is a rule
smile.gif
LOL!

Your static scope should never overlap your dynamic scope.

Well, I'm not giving out many addresses so 103 is fine. But thanks for the tip, as I like to following standard operating protocols.

Originally Posted By: NJC
Well, I'm not giving out many addresses so 103 is fine. But thanks for the tip, as I like to following standard operating protocols.

IMHO, if you are going to keep it static, set it to .10 or something.

I took the drive out of the server (A Black Caviar 1TB) and WD Diagnostics determined it was fine. Attached it to desktop and booted it and kernel panic. Oy.

Running the Recovery kernel also panics as well. The older kernels boot fine, but that doesn't help for a headless server.

OK good idea. I don't have need of a new and swanky kernel so can revert back to the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back