Rousing Rebel: AMC fan goes all-out on Rebel SST

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
Nice article that classic car fans may enjoy. Especially if you are a fan of the late Hudson/Nash/AMC corporation that at one time was one of the largest major industrial employers in the Kenoshia, Wisconsin area. Chrysler Motors eventually purchased and took over the entire line of vehicles under the AMC banner.

amcrebelmachineconvertible1.jpg

amcrebelmachineconvertible.jpg

Last edited:
It’s nice enough, and he put a tremendous amount of work into it-but I hate to see a rare specimen (last year of the Rebel, or ANY AMC convertible) turned into something different than it was originally. Garden variety hardtop, sure.

I like it. The fact that it is a convertible makes it superb in my mind.

I do like resto-mods. Unlike today's cars, many of the classics were not great in one department or another, and in need of significant modification just to drive properly. The Caroll Shelbys of the world made their fortunes fixing what needed fixing.

I like it. The fact that it is a convertible makes it superb in my mind.

I do like resto-mods. Unlike today's cars, many of the classics were not great in one department or another, and in need of significant modification just to drive properly. The Caroll Shelbys of the world made their fortunes fixing what needed fixing.
Agree 100%. Most 'classics' are only nice to look at (sometimes). They're not fast, usually way overweight, drive like garbage, and stop..sometimes.

Give me modern technology in a pretty wrapper and I'm all in.

Agree 100%. Most 'classics' are only nice to look at (sometimes). They're not fast, usually way overweight, drive like garbage, and stop..sometimes.

Give me modern technology in a pretty wrapper and I'm all in.
I am a fan of both. The old and the new.
Totally agree about the classics and muscle cars. Majority drove like you were in an army tank, or trying to steer a battleship thru a ditch without hitting anything. Then in some turns you hung on in hopes you would not do a roll over due to the shabby , plain poor oem suspensions. Of course one could pay extra for suspension upgrades which were really not much better and mostly designed for helping you get down the drag strip and not a curvy highway. From my experience with the Big Three USA auto makers ..... Buick and Pontiac were far ahead of others in the suspension game. Some Buicks/Pontiacs/Olds handled extremely well for what they were back in the day. For me the classics and muscle cars I usually admire so much are mostly 100% factory "survivors" and some even are over-restored. Unless they are set up for the race tracks or drag strips they mostly end up being like something in a museum because the folks with deep pockets who spent so much to restore them to exact/oem/factory specs mostly are doing so in an attempt to win contests and trophies. Then they can or will not drive them for fear of a mishap on the roads. If I had some of those deep pockets, I would go for what is called a "day two or resto-mod" build. I would restore to the level that the exterior and interior look factory fresh but upgrade suspension/brakes and engine internals to juice up the horses while keeping the engine bay looking correct. The other thing I would do that would give many "deep pocket" collectors a stroke is that I would drive the heck out of it and enjoy it as it was meant to be.... DRIVEN. I too am a big fan of the newer stuff being made these days and am actually in awe of how it appears that at some point around the late 1990s the auto makers either learned how or decided they had to start making some real quality / innovative cars that average Joe can walk into a dealership , test drive and leave taking a really nice quality vehicle home that is now far and above what they used to offer to us car buying folks.

Last edited:
I am a fan of both. The old and the new.
Totally agree about the classics and muscle cars. Majority drove like you were in an army tank, or trying to steer a battleship thru a ditch without hitting anything. Then in some turns you hung on in hopes you would not do a roll over due to the shabby , plain poor oem suspensions. Of course one could pay extra for suspension upgrades which were really not much better and mostly designed for helping you get down the drag strip and not a curvy highway. From my experience with the Big Three USA auto makers ..... Buick and Pontiac were far ahead of others in the suspension game. Some Buicks/Pontiacs/Olds handled extremely well for what they were back in the day. For me the classics and muscle cars I usually admire so much are mostly 100% factory "survivors" and some even are over-restored. Unless they are set up for the race tracks or drag strips they mostly end up being like something in a museum because the folks with deep pockets who spent so much to restore them to exact/oem/factory specs mostly are doing so in an attempt to win contests and trophies. Then they can or will not drive them for fear of a mishap on the roads. If I had some of those deep pockets, I would go for what is called a "day two or resto-mod" build. I would restore to the level that the exterior and interior look factory fresh but upgrade suspension/brakes and engine internals to juice up the horses while keeping the engine bay looking correct. The other thing I would do that would give many "deep pocket" collectors a stroke is that I would drive the heck out of it and enjoy it as it was meant to be.... DRIVEN. I too am a big fan of the newer stuff being made these days and am actually in awe of how it appears that at some point around the late 1990s the auto makers either learned how or decided they had to start making some real quality / innovative cars that average Joe can walk into a dealership , test drive and leave taking a really nice quality vehicle home that is now far and above what they used to offer to us car buying folks.
Exactly. It’s great he spent all that time/effort/money on it, but for what he’s doing with it might as well be in a museum. Drive it and really enjoy it.

The car looks good to me. He has done an incredible job on it. Kudos to him.
I stumbled across the story of that car in a book long ago with a bunch of great photos that really showed how fine a job he did with it. For some reason the photos with those threads were not the best. I bet that car is just amazing to see in person. I am blown away every now and then when I stumble across award winning restorations (top quality) that are mostly done at home by non-pro restorers like that fellow. He even accomplished a fanastic / flawless looking paint job on it.

The hood scoop is like a huge zit on the girl's nose you otherwise have a crush on.

Reactions: hrv
Back