Round Rolling Rubberish Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting in the shanty on a serene Saturday, listening to Lionel on the AM radio, pondering what to sove down my gullet next, your author wandered the Web seeking enlightenment and fulfillment and other miscellaneous interesting assorted items of dubious value.

Lo!!!!!

For those of you who are in the market for tires, this info may ease your search. Maybe it won't. The info within may be of immense value, prompting thee to message me, offering to send money as a way of saying thanks. On the other hand, some of thee may demand money from me for wasting thine time. Sheeeesh, this is a tough audience. No wonder the BIG name entertainers are never seen here.

Okay. Here is the requisite link thingy. You will need to have active scripting enabled for the drop-down menu to function in a drop-down menu manner:

http://safercar.gov/Tires/pages/TireRatings.cfm

From the page linked-to;

"To assist consumers purchasing new vehicles or replacement tires, NHTSA has rated more than 2,400 lines of tires, including most used on passenger cars, minivans, SUVs and light pickup trucks. Consumers can select a tire brand from the drop-down menu below."

Your tax dollars were used to create the site. Might as well use it so as to getcher' money's worth outta' dem taxes.

For those unaware of the NHTSA Web site you can find recalls, technical service bulletins and udder useful, semi-usedul and non-useful stuff there.

This site has been mentioned by little old blubbery me in the past along with udder critters hanging out here (go get a job ye reprobates, ye sluggards)but.......

There are newbies who wander in and not every individual sees every single post so maybe this post will enlighten the unenlightened or prove useful to somebody and, at the least, the time spent typing this vice sleeping burned an extra 50 calories, playing a very small part in slowing the addition of even more excess blubber to the blubbery folds adorning my blubbery body.

A couple of thoughts:

This list isn't the result of testing done by NHTSA - and they should be ashamed of taking credit for the testing. This list is merely a compilation of information supplied to them (because it is required!) by the tire manufacturers.

I should also mention that NHTSA is always slow in publishing things and this list is frequently out of date by the time it appears.

But for any newbie for whom this information is new - it's called UTQG ratings (Uniform Tire Quality Grades) and there are tests perscribed for each category. Unfortunately, there are ways to skew the results and many times a tire manufacturer has an agenda when it comes to these ratings.

On the other hand, they are at least better than nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back