Rotella T Synthetic CJ4 SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting lower TBN, but not this low. Also expected higher moly, and was not expecting ca/mag! I asked blackstone to re-run this, kinda feel bad because I seem to ask every time I send a sample in. Big price jump from SL CI4, could this be the mag? Or is shell utilizing long chain zddp? What do y'all think?

29atiyg.png

Last edited:
what is your question CJ has more AO and Dispersant with LESS total sulfated ash AO and Dispersant will not whow on a regular spectro
bruce

Looks like a CJ-4 VOA to me...at least it meets the spec LOL. I wouldn't freak out over the additive levels because we can't see the expensive stuff in a $30 test.

are the adds with less sulfated ash the reason for the low tbn? There's still a lot of zddp is it long chain? What requirments are there in order to meet the cj4?

Would have been nice to see a particle count - no one seems to think that initial cleanliness important.

It looks like a CJ4 the TBN is fine.

I posted a reply on Ryan M post under PCMO. This report by Blackstone is way off.

Calcium is over 2200 on new oil, and as whitesands said, flash point, vis, and TBN are off.

Ca is running allot lower in CJ4 - The accuracy of the VOA may be in question but remember not all batches are created equal.

13.5 to 15.5 vis is normal for a 5W40 CJ4. We have seen Delvac at 13.2 and many analyzers are low when it comes to TBN.

I agree, but the Ca for the CI4+ was over 3000 and they did drop it, but not down to 820. The Ca for the CJ4 is over 2200. As noted, their TBN number is lower, flash is low.

I also agree not all batches are created equal. But the quality control at the Shell blending plant is a lot closer than that of Blackstone. The + or - percentages are very low when it comes to blending a formula at Shell.

as far as TBN I would say lab variations. Blackstone uses ASTM D664, idk about shell but I bet it's different. Flashpoint, good question. I've emailer blackstone they said all numbers are correct, but they are going to rerun the sample. Keep ya posted.

those are the ru-run numbers, im going to check the date code tomorrow

Date code says it was blended in their Port Arthur plant at 6:46 AM on May 3, 2008.

I still do not agree with their calcium numbers and I have no clue where the moly came from.

So--
Did you ever sort out if the Blackstone analysys was off or what? Is the flash point really that low, and is there moly in the RTS CJ formula? If so, I may have to find another oil for my bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back