Rotella 15W40 CJ-4, 7,947 miles, Honda ST1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.75 quarts of AmSoil 10-40, 2.75 quarts of AmSoil 20-50. It's in a 2053 cc V-twin with shared transmission and straight cut gears. The engine specs 10-40, the transmission shifts MUCH better on the upper end of the 40-weight range. This brew holds grade for at least 5000 miles in this engine. Rotella could hang on for about 2000 miles...and never shifted quite as smoothly as with the mixture. YMMV!

ah ha, i have run the 15/40's, 10/40's, and 20/50's. Maybe i should try a blend of 10/40 with 20/50.

See what happens

thanks for the info

Quote:

It's in a 2053 cc V-twin with shared transmission and straight cut gears.

The ST1300 that was the test bike for the 8K mile run of the Rotella CJ-4 is a V-4 with straight-cut gears. The oil seemed to go 8,000 miles without losing grade (if I read it correctly). Is there something about a V-twin that would put more abuse and strain on an oil than a V-4, or a flat-6 like my Goldwing is?

I'm being serious ... Rick_A's test of the CJ-4 15W-40 in his ST1300 seemed to indicate the Rotella held for 8,000 miles. But you're saying you find it's good for about 2,000 but not more. What would be the difference? A difference in the mechanics of the bike? Or a difference in the personal preference of the rider -- i.e., shift feel, etc.?

Please ... I'm very sincere with my question here. I'm not a mechanic nor an oil engineer. So I'm genuinely curious why your big V-Twin would perform so differently from a V-4 when it came to the oil.

Wiley,

The Max life has had some good reports from the car guys so I thouhgt that I would see how it holds up in the bike.
Besides, I picked up a bunch of it on sale!

Rick

Don,

I have used HDEOs for a long time with good results, usually Delo. I'm very happy with the results from the Rotella. I would certainly use it again and I like the way it smells
smile.gif

As for the additives, the Rotella looks better to me than the Honda GN4 that I ran last time.

Rick

rick,
no matter what, do not, i repeat, do NOT try the Supertech 15w40 that is still CI-4 rated. you just might get 10k miles with it still being in grade. and at 7.88 a gallon that would truely suck.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
rick,
no matter what, do not, i repeat, do NOT try the Supertech 15w40 that is still CI-4 rated. you just might get 10k miles with it still being in grade. and at 7.88 a gallon that would truely suck.

Cool, another oil to test. I haven't seen the Supertech 15w40 before, I guess I better go shoping this weekend.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back