Rolex 24 at Daytona this weekend

Anyone going this weekend? I'll be there with my dad and my 10yo son. We're driving down tomorrow and coming home Monday.

I'll be in the 340i. My dad will be in his 911S. He gets Porsche parking inside the track so I'll park at the hotel and ride with him to the track.

This will be my son's first time going. We tried to go last year but it would have been miserable with all the virus stuff going on. I've been a few times when I was younger but its been over a decade since.

I'll be rooting for the BMW team this time around!

B541ACC6-6678-4E09-9230-993CF627A022.jpeg

Outstanding! I want to be there for that race someday.

I remember something about Daytona 24 Hours that has always stuck with me- Dale Earnhardt Sr. was there his first time driving that yellow Chevrolet GTS in 2001. Dale drove with those open faced helmets and it had an in car shot of him behind the wheel. Looked just like he did in NASCAR. It was daylight but raining, coming out of some corner. The car went into a wicked snapping slide and was sliding back and forth under him while he worked the steering back and forth, reigning in and taming the slithering beast. What I distinctly remember is how the expression on his face never changed. He was flailing away on the wheel dang near lock-to-lock and his face didn’t even flinch. He kept it on the track, driving on like it never happened. It made me realize his greatness. They finished second in class.

Scott

Last edited:
I've wanted to go for years but just can't with my work calendar. So I'll be watching on and off from the comfort of my living room or bed. That's why I've been hoping that one day there is at least a 12 hour race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There has been talk of an endurance race here from time to time, so who knows?

If you think about it, the early years of the Indy 500 were really endurance races. In fact, that was part of the intent of it.

I've wanted to go for years but just can't with my work calendar. So I'll be watching on and off from the comfort of my living room or bed. That's why I've been hoping that one day there is at least a 12 hour race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. There has been talk of an endurance race here from time to time, so who knows?

If you think about it, the early years of the Indy 500 were really endurance races. In fact, that was part of the intent of it.
I think with The Captain owning IMS this might be a good possibility.

I have to work Saturday, so it will be on at work. I really want to go one of these years.

I'd love to go. Been lucky enough to live near Road Atlanta and have been to the Petit there several times, just haven't been able to make it to Daytona for one of these.

Might make it more interesting! What are the expected temps?
Depends on which way the wind blows down here (and I'm not joking). They are looking at 29 on Sat night. It's been wet with misty rain so everything is pretty damp. Maybe 49 for a high on Sunday. There is supposed to be plenty of sun, so that will help the track.

Depends on which way the wind blows down here (and I'm not joking). They are looking at 29 on Sat night. It's been wet with misty rain so everything is pretty damp. Maybe 49 for a high on Sunday. There is supposed to be plenty of sun, so that will help the track.
The night sounds like it could be miserable for the crews. Not sure anyone remembers to bring heaters to Florida! Lol!

Back