Rock Island 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us knows how it shoots:

RE: Slides:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?82150-RIA-slide-is-cast-or-extruded-milled

ArmscorBA is a high up in the US distributor, wdl is with Armscor in PH.

Note comments about "Extruded" may be considered "Forged", Ivan clearly (at the date of the tread) differentiates extruded vs forged.

This very well may have changed, and is poorly documented, much like Springfield quietly discontinued sourcing from Imbel... I'll see if I can find out more since I find this sort of thing intresting.

I don't consider extruding and forging as the same. I ahve seen both firsthand; they are different.

Would love to hear what you find out about that.

As I linked, the RIA site states it is "forged". Not that specs cannot change and mistakes cannot happen in marketing literature. Just going by what they state in their FAQ.

Getting very cold here, but may try to get out and shoot this weekend. For the price, I actually may have bought two, but alas I got the last one in stock. Still happy with the purchase though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

My local Rural King has them on sale right now for $349, including two 8-round mags. REALLY hard to walk away from that price yesterday. It is the basic Gov type model; basic sixed sights, blued, wood grip, etc. Nothing fancy. But WOW what a price for a new 1911.

Which one did you get?

https://us.armscor.com/products/category/pistols/

This one: https://us.armscor.com/products/1911-standard-gi

Got the last one they had in stock. Had I acted a little sooner, I quite possibly might have bought two at that price.

This is no Kimber or NightHawk or such. I get that. No beav tail, rudimentary fixed sights, etc. It's plain-Jane. It's true to the GI history.

But then again, it still goes "bang" with a good build quality and reliablility for a LOT less money, too. It was purchased to be a range toy and not a carry piece, althought to be honest I don't see why it wouldn't also fill that role. I'm just a Glock nut and will always carry Glock. But I do love the 1911 look and feel, and appreciate history when experienced.

Last edited:
dnewton3 : Congrats ! The only inexpensive mods I would make right away (if you feel the need) would be new grips and a beaver tail (if slide bite is an issue). I personally am not sure I could shoot well with GI sights (due to glasses) but as long as you can group 5" at 25 yards (freehand) then what's not to like with your new RIA ?

This one: https://us.armscor.com/products/1911-standard-gi

Got the last one they had in stock. Had I acted a little sooner, I quite possibly might have bought two at that price.

That's a nice 45 for $350 ... I wouldn't mind having one also. I have a Colt Combat Commander in stainless, but that RI is pretty sweet for the money.
thumbsup2.gif

I've had one RIA (Tactical) and it was: *drumroll* - very good.

I've been shooting 1911's since about 1974. I have about 20 now, have owned 50 or more. Mostly Colt, some Kimber, Springfield, Norinco, several custom Caspians I had built and a few I built ( I have an FFL though am not a 1911 pistolsmith). More I get on, more I appreciate Colt for consistency and value (which are not Kimber traits!) Dollars to doughnuts, I'd rather have an RIA than a Kimber. On the RIA, extractors work, bushings are not grossly out of spec. The guns run out of the box unlike other high-dollar non-Colt US guns. Nothing wrong with a RIA.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

I've been shooting 1911's since about 1974. I have about 20 now, have owned 50 or more. Mostly Colt, some Kimber, Springfield, Norinco, several custom Caspians I had built and a few I built ( I have an FFL though am not a 1911 pistolsmith). More I get on, more I appreciate Colt for consistency and value (which are not Kimber traits!) Dollars to doughnuts, I'd rather have an RIA than a Kimber. On the RIA, extractors work, bushings are not grossly out of spec. The guns run out of the box unlike other high-dollar non-Colt US guns. Nothing wrong with a RIA.
The basic rule in life of you can never have too many 1911s rings true!!!

I don't know about that. I could shoot only one at a time. If I owned ten I could not shoot all ten at once, unless I had nine other people shooting the others. I would be happy with just one quality 1911.

So CT8 are you still reloading using spent aluminum cases and spent Russian steel cases? In one of your first posts here you said you had picked up almost a thousand spent 40 caliber cases and reloaded them.

Now I am not a reloader. But I knew two reloaders very well and they used only quality brass cases. They never used aluminum cases and they never used Russian steel cases. That Russian ammo shoots so dirty I would never use it in my guns.

Aluminum Blazer case ammunition is not intended to be reloaded. If I was a reloader I would never try to reload spent aluminum cases and I know for a fact that the two reloaders I knew never used aluminum case ammunition for reloading.

Just one quality 1911 would be fine for me.

The gun shop I worked part time for sold Sig, S&W, Kimber, Springfield, RIA 1911's. We sold a bunch of the RIA's and never received a complaint, everyone said they were leary at first but happy they bought one. People buying the RIA are looking for value in a shooter and the RIA fits that perfect. The 9mm RIA (I own) is a real nice shooter, the only thing bad about the 9mm (if it's a bad thing ???) is the chamber isn't fully supported. I've never had a problem with any ammo I've shot in the 9 so who knows ??.

My RIA has about 5,000 rounds through it and I would say it's *my life is on the line dependable...

I saw a Rock Island 1911 .45 at a BIG-R Store that was selling for about $500.00. That is a lot better than Springfield or Kimber. Their prices are something like $1000.00.

One of these days I might buy one. I would also like to get a .357 magnum someday. But I have a 9mm S&W M&P and a 40 caliber Glock.

Last edited:
dnewton3: I have owned 2 RIA 1911s for about 3 years and have shot probably 300 rounds through each. I can say that the basic model has jammed twice (feed ramp needs some smoothing out I think) and the other has never jammed. Both seem accurate at the range. I paid $400 for the basic model and $500 for the blued model.

Those are not Rock Island Pistols(Armscor). There is another 1911 producer in the Philippines(Metro Arms) that produces the American Classic guns.

I haven't yet felt any other pistol that has a better feel in the hand than 1911. That is probably why they are still being made.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I haven't yet felt any other pistol that has a better feel in the hand than 1911. That is probably why they are still being made.

They feel good. Now going to shoot an old GI 1911...that can be less than pleasant with the standard grip safety and old spur hammer. We had a local reserve officer that was given an old 50's commercial 1911 as a duty weapon by the department since he was broke. Man he could sure shoot it but after the qualifying his hand was bit up.

it is fairly east to install a drop in beaver tail and hammer.They need fitting even though they are drop in.I have a WWII 1911 and i don't have trouble being bit but I have small hands and we will leave it at that
wink.gif

I don't consider extruding and forging as the same. I ahve seen both firsthand; they are different.

Would love to hear what you find out about that.

I heard back from wdl (Willie), Willie works for Armscor in PH, I am not sure what his capacity is, but it is high enough to make it to SHOT and so forth occasionally. I consider him a reliable source.

He says the slide is Extruded.

No word from Ivan yet.

Incidentally in researching this there is a rumor out there that a US facility is under construction and that both slides and frames will be forged in the future.

RE: Hammer bite and sights. I have a number of 1911's with spur hammers and I have never been bitten by one, this seems to depend almost entirely on the size and fleshiness of your hands.

I have a Colt O1911 (Commonly referred to as a WWI replica - Carbonia Blue/Charcoal Blue) complete with tiny GI sized sights and frame sans finger reliefs (In other words a 1911 not a 1911A1) This pistol is surprisingly in the top 3 of all I own for accuracy, it is a joy to shoot and WAY more accurate than the tiny sights and basic appearance would lead you to believe. The GI sights work very well in good lighting.

Oro_O : Describe why you like Colt 1911's so much and perhaps why you may consider them to be among the best values ?

I never heard back from Ivan, not sure what is up, but I'll accept Willie's answer as the final word anyway.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Oro_O : Describe why you like Colt 1911's so much and perhaps why you may consider them to be among the best values ?

I'm not Oro_O, but since I agree with him I'll provide my answer, even though it is off topic to this thread and should probably be a separate discussion, apologies in advance to Dn3.

My personal value assessment is that Colt provides the best pistol for the money because the slide and frame are forged and Colt barrels are among the very best, even if not marked NM (National Match). They use limited MIM parts (sear, disconnector, mag catch). In a Springfield or Kimber, you can pretty much set aside the frame, slide, barrel and springs and everything else is MIM. Colt and Springfields MIM is quite good, Kimber I believe is a step below Springfileds, which is slightly below Colts. Colt is an american company and employer, they make a very large portion of (if not all of other than sights) their own parts. I've never had one fail to function, and the few cosmetic issues have been rectified without drama, and with apologies for the need. Each time I have purchased a 1911 other than Colt, I've come to regret it for one reason or another.

The only 1911 I feel even comes close to Colt's value is Dan Wesson. They are more money, but use no MIM (since about 2011) They have premium parts, are built in the USA by US employees, although the company is owned by CZ. Unfortunately I've never gotten one that worked without me having to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back