Sodium 32/128
Boron 1/3
Potassium 29/53
Vanadium 0/1
V40C 69.1/57.8 RLI-VOA 59.7
V100C 11.0/10.3 RLI-VOA 10.9
TAN 2.7/3.06 RLI-VOA 2.13 (0.93 delta)
Flash 315/285
Oxidataion 21/285 RLI-VOA 149 (no oxidation increase)
Nitration 12/16
KF 562/766
TBN 2.9/3.7
Fuel 1.3/1.60
Soot 0/0
Glycol 0/0
Vndx 150/168
Sulfate 24/111

I do not under stand this part?
(no oxidation increase)

""Oxidataion 21/285 RLI-VOA 149""

149 new to 285 old oxidation increase?

Also fuel dilution is slightly higher at 1.6 vs 1.3
bruce

It seems that this oil is doing what it is supposed to - reducing wear (iron) even as fuel goes up, so it would seem to be a success....BUT lead is up slightly, and copper is meaningless, so is this 'small' improvement (the only one we can see) worth the added cost on an economy car?

That seems to be the question that comes up with RLI oils, given their elatively high cost.....

I think it's important people compare apples to apples here. RLI oil has a lot more phosphorus and zinc in it. On top of that, Fe is low in both reports, but better with the RLI. I don't see anything that significant between these two reports.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4

Oxidataion 21/285 RLI-VOA 149 (no oxidation increase)

Correction, that should have been:

Oxidataion 21/149 RLI-VOA 149 (no oxidation increase)

My eyes looked at the wrong line when typing. I duplicated the previous flashpoint number

Originally Posted By: bruce381
I do not under stand this part?
(no oxidation increase)

""Oxidataion 21/285 RLI-VOA 149""

149 new to 285 old oxidation increase?

Also fuel dilution is slightly higher at 1.6 vs 1.3
bruce

You're right. I mistyped. it should have been Oxidation 21/149

Yep, this engine has some significant fuel dilution problems. In spite of that the RLI performs as well in some areas, and better in others, than the GC/LC combo.

What oil was run before the GC?
Driving style? conditions?

The iron wear in both runs is excessive. Search for 1.8 uoas here. Even cheap mineral oil turns in better FE numbers. Is vehicle abused?

PB/CU look similar to other 1.8 UOAs. Nothing to worry about either run here.

Fuel screams possibly city driving, short trips, or tuneup needed.

Have the injectors ever seen FI cleaners? are the spark plugs original? thermostat and cooling system condition? air filter? ......

I recommend a good thorough tuneup along with SHORTER OCIs.

Help me with something. If I had a car that had high fuel dilution, I would go after the problem, rather than try oils to "fix" it. Do all Sentras have high fuel in oil problems? What is the cause?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
What oil was run before the GC?
Driving style? conditions?

GC/LC was run previously. The car is driven by a college aged daughter of my friend, and she's not nice to the car.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
The iron wear in both runs is excessive. Search for 1.8 uoas here. Even cheap mineral oil turns in better FE numbers. Is vehicle abused?

Yes, as I said, the car has "issues" that my friend is aware of.

Pablo,

That would be reasonable. I can't say why my friend's daughter hasn't had it fixed. He just threw in RLI as a test. Nothing more.

Does this oil have sodium in the additive package? The sodium and potassium indicate the infamous head gasket leakage in these motors I think.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
Looks like you have a coolant leak. I'd run cheap dino, forget the spendy stuff.

Well, except as you will notice, Glycol comes back at zero, which would preclude a current coolant leak.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
Looks like you have a coolant leak. I'd run cheap dino, forget the spendy stuff.

Well, except as you will notice, Glycol comes back at zero, which would preclude a current coolant leak.

Given the history of this motor, not sure I would trust the 0. Check through the archives on the 1.8L.

Pablo,

That would be reasonable. I can't say why my friend's daughter hasn't had it fixed. He just threw in RLI as a test. Nothing more.

Got it. Good test mule. Maybe try two runs of each oil, see how long it lasts!
shocked2.gif
09.gif

nice coolant leak, small amount. I would keep an eye on it and run short oci to get that coolant out of this headgasket eating engine. save the expensive stuff on a good engine.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back