RL WaterWetter + Zerex G-05 + residual green stuff = OK??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by z3bra:
...I know I didn't get all the old green stuff out of the heater core but the G-O5 is supposedly completely compatable with regular green coolant unlike that nasty orange dex-cool garbage. [
rolleyes.gif
]

That's not true for either DEX-COOL or G-05. If you still have a 10% or higher concentration of the previous conventional antifreeze solution, the compatibility issue is only good for the remainder of the original solution's working life. (which implies you may have wasted your time and money by not following through with a complete flush of the old coolant to water-clear effluent)

quote:

The main difference vs regular green is that G-05 is phosphate free and if you have aluminum in your cooling system that's good...

That's obviously untrue, too. Phosphate content in coolant is a quick acting corrosion inhibitor for aluminum. The Japanese manufacturers specifically add a very "healthy" dose of phosphates to their proprietary antifreeze/coolants for that very reason. (and that's also the reason the Japanese do not recommend DEX-COOL, though I and several others had no problems with DEX-COOL in our Hondas) The European manufacturers generally avoid phosphates - NOT because they fear destructive interactions with aluminum - but because European water supplies have notoriously high mineral content - including phosphates. (There's a reason wine is served in preference to water in European homes and restaurants.) The feeling of European auto manufacturers is that when phosphate content antifreeze/coolants are combined with Europe's very hard water, the combination increases the liklihood that the phosphates will fall out of solution as hard precipitates and damage water pump seals. (reduced levels of silicates, OK, phsophates NOT OK) The Japanese take a diametrically opposed view. (silicates NOT OK, stiff dose of phosphates OK). Since Japanese cars are sold in Europe, time will ultimately sort this fundemental difference of opinion out. GM, Havoline, Peak, SuperTech, and Zerex DEX-COOL and related antifreeze coolants elliminated both silicates and phosphates.

It seems to me that if DEX-COOL products are as inherently destructive as so many on this forum hysterically rant, all users of DEX-COOL would be screaming about the cooling system destroying brew. But, that isn't so. I ran DEX-COOL three years in my Accord. My wife's 2000 Cavalier is still on its factory fill of DEX-COOL. In both cases the coolant remained bright orange and perfectly transparent. I'm NOT saying the people who've had problems with DEX-COOL installed didn't have problems. I'm simply suggesting that the problem cases have an as yet unidentified or additional cause.

Ray, why then would new Ford, Chrysler and MB vehicles sold internationally (if not then North America) be subject to G-05 exclusively. I don't get why large automakers would switch coolant specs to accomodate the generalized perception of one continents water supply. people should be using distilled (or wine
lol.gif
) either way, no? There has to be a reason GM discontinued dex-cooling their stuff. With such a tight margin of error using the dex'er, is it worth not informing your peers of possible dangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back