Rifle for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.22 is still scarce down here in the Gunshine State. Ammo shortages know no political boundaries. Hoarders are everywhere.

Unfortunately, the simple answer on ammo shortages is: us!

The demand for ammo spiked early last year after legislative responses to Newtown, and manufacturers are still struggling to meet it; running 3 shifts to fulfill backlogged orders. Demand hasn't dropped off, and the common calibers are being made as fast as they can. Unfortunately, that means that the less common calibers are still in very short supply...so, if you're like me, looking for 45-70 cowboy loads, you're out of luck. Oddly, .22 demand is still tremendous...

My source is both G&A articles and American Rifleman articles, including an interview with Mr. Hornady.

And looking at guys haul cases of ammo out of my LGS at a rate I've never seen before, those contentions are supported by my experience. Of course, last month, as I walked out with 500 rounds of Federal 5.56 XM-193 (for $219, by the way), I realize that the "buy it while I can" mentality is firmly in all our minds.

I think that it will be a long time before demand comes down, if ever, as regular guys like me don't want to be held hostage by crisis buying and price spikes...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I've been thinking for a while about getting a gun. I don't want to go through the pain of getting a pistol permit, and I don't want a shotgun, so that leaves me at some sort of rifle.

So what would you recommend to learn with? I'd like the gun to be relatively inexpensive (used is fine) and take easy to get, relatively inexpensive ammunition.

Thanks!

Nate,

I suggest you get a Marlin bolt action in 22LR.

Durango

Originally Posted By: salv
Pistol caliber lever action. Rossi R92 or Marlin 1894 in .357/.38 special. No recoil, low noise, relatively powerful, durable and reliable, lots of options for ammo, and better yet, since it is a tubular magazine, it is exempt from the NY Safe Act 7 round loading limits.

The "ammo shortage" in my area is normally for the military calibers [9mmPara, 45ACP, 5.56, Russian calibers]. I second Salv's suggestion of a lever action .357/.38spl. carbine up to 18" barrel. I have always been able to buy either .357 or .38 spl.
As much as it breaks my heart, I'd steer you away from a Marlin (which is USA made) because of a known design defect called the Marlin jam. It isn't expensive to fix if you can do your own work. My local gunsmith fit a part that I made into the shell elevator and when I get some decent weather I'll take the gun out for a torture test of the repair. The smith's bill was still $100. The Henry is also USA made, but is heavy, expensive, and only loads by taking the gun out of the fight.
The Rossi Winchester clones are good guns for the money and have no known mechanical issues. The Winchester action, designed by John Browning, is not user friendly to dismantle and clean. All of this can be YouTubed to see what I mean.
The carbine .357 will almost DOUBLE the muzzle energy of the same ammo out of a revolver. At home defense ranges, I am sure it will be a one-shot stop IF you practice enough!! A miss by an elephant gun is worthless versus a hit with a .22
Practicing with ammo you can buy is much better (and not THAT much more) than limiting your practice if you can't buy sufficient ammo. I also think it's better to practice with the gun you'd use if it came to that. Familiarity with the controls and the lever so that you don't have to think when it's the hardest thing to do.

Last edited:
I don't know where you get your 22LR rounds, but in pawn shops that deal guns, I can find 22LR

My father learned to shoot a Marlin 60, and he loved it. He had to sell it a long time ago to pay some bills.

Years later, he bought another one. I think he paid $160 at Wal Mart.

The Marlin does not feel as precisely made as a Ruger 10-22, but it isn't bad at all. Imagine when you have a Marlin you are driving a Toyota, and when you have a Ruger you are driving a Benz.

It is extremely accurate and reliable, and that is all you need in a gun.

Given what that gun cost, it makes me wonder why there aren't more high quality products that don't cost too much and are made in the USA.

As crazy as it may sound, a really nice high power air rifle might be a great choice if you're just shooting paper and tin cans.

Really nice rifles can be had starting at $200 and 1000 pellet rounds can be had for under $20. Alot of fun shooting on the cheap.

By no means does this compare in capability to a 22, let alone the centerfire rounds, but it is fun nonetheless. This is how I started my boys off with proper handling, use, and respect for firearms.

Originally Posted By: 2cool

The "ammo shortage" in my area is normally for the military calibers [9mmPara, 45ACP, 5.56, Russian calibers]. I second Salv's suggestion of a lever action .357/.38spl. carbine up to 18" barrel. I have always been able to buy either .357 or .38 spl.
As much as it breaks my heart, I'd steer you away from a Marlin (which is USA made) because of a known design defect called the Marlin jam. It isn't expensive to fix if you can do your own work. My local gunsmith fit a part that I made into the shell elevator and when I get some decent weather I'll take the gun out for a torture test of the repair. The smith's bill was still $100. The Henry is also USA made, but is heavy, expensive, and only loads by taking the gun out of the fight.
The Rossi Winchester clones are good guns for the money and have no known mechanical issues. The Winchester action, designed by John Browning, is not user friendly to dismantle and clean. All of this can be YouTubed to see what I mean.
The carbine .357 will almost DOUBLE the muzzle energy of the same ammo out of a revolver. At home defense ranges, I am sure it will be a one-shot stop IF you practice enough!! A miss by an elephant gun is worthless versus a hit with a .22
Practicing with ammo you can buy is much better (and not THAT much more) than limiting your practice if you can't buy sufficient ammo. I also think it's better to practice with the gun you'd use if it came to that. Familiarity with the controls and the lever so that you don't have to think when it's the hardest thing to do.
The biggests problem with Marlin is the Marlin Premium. 1894s are big $$$ these days. And the spotty Remlin quality for newer guns. The Marlin jam is overblown IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I'm going shooting with my brother and friend in a couple weeks to try out at least a Mosin-Nagant and 22.

If you haven't had to use a screwdriver to push the 2nd round back into the magazine, then yeah; it's overblown. I've HAD that happen, believe me, it ain't! Perhaps Remington can change the alloy or have the sharp edge of the lever polished enough to forestall the problem that Marlin was not able/willing to address.
I have a Remlin 336W that I bought two years ago in 30-30. It is tight, the wood, while cheap, is finished and well-fitted. The action is still newish, but still pretty smooth as I only have about 80 rounds through it. I think that Remington had to admit that making lever action rifles isn't like anything else, and they've done what they had to do to make a gun that people would pay for.

So I shot the Mosin with my brother yesterday. It's a fun gun. I didn't mind the recoil so much, but that thing is heavy. It's almost 9 pounds!

Anyhow, I think I'm going to go the .22LR route (maybe a Marlin 795?). I've heard they have a stock of ammo that they keep for people who are buying guns... I'll have to call and see if that's accurate.

Last edited:
After researching a lot and thinking about my budget and talking to people, I decided on getting a 22, but only if I could buy ammo at the same time.

And today I found a Savage Mk2 at a local gun shop, and they sold me 500 rounds with it.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Great choice
thumbsup2.gif

I just picked up a a MK II today as well, stainless and synthetic, nice little gun for my wife to learn on and me to plink with
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back